Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Creating a complete outdoor BBQ space

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Creating a complete outdoor BBQ space

originally started this outdoor area to enjoy Easter with the family at my place. It suddenly became a space where we would honour and cherish my mums memories. I made use of free pallet wood for all exterior panelling, pinched a few spoons from her kitchen for handles and got creative. This is my first project, so I’m a newbie when it comes to building anything! EABDF4C5-2131-41C7-A4C1-EBFBD095EA0D.jpeg

I had an existing concrete slab so I built a pergola with these dimensions. Post stirrups were cemented in place and I created the pergola with sawn treated pine 100x100, sleepers and treated pine timber. All profiles I cut with circular saw and jigsaw and sanded to round off profiles. 

F56D3EA4-F9DC-4CC7-9D34-CF97C4B724E2.jpeg

Finished pergola. 

359CB688-3B1C-497C-9718-1B8B5183B495.jpeg

I measured the existing frame and constructed a new frame with small counter tops. I lined with cement sheeting and made cement counter tops (reinforced). 

1D5BF80D-95AF-45EC-9CBF-2C6053144C28.jpeg

I attached a retractable outdoor blind for some sun blockout. The corners of the BBQ area I added some thin wood off cuts (2mm). Sprayed black and attached to break up all the pallet wood. 

E25A0031-2867-4750-A73D-A1EFC4371B72.jpeg

1EFBC510-AA81-4B8B-9393-EF4FEBE3F33D.jpeg

Please consult with your local council regarding pergola construction and height etc. as different rules apply. The Mumme Reno bar was a life saver to dismantle the pallets. It was money well spent for me. 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Creating a complete outdoor BBQ space

What an incredible first project @sandy_d. You must be so proud of what you've been able to accomplish. The spoons from your mum's kitchen is an inspired touch, and I'm sure this will be a beautiful place to gather and share memories for years to come.

Thanks for taking the time to share the journey of your project so that others in the community can find ideas for their own outdoor entertaining projects.

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the Workshop community. With a first project like this, I can't wait to see what's next. Please reach out if you're ever stuck on a project or want help making the most of the site. We're here to help.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

@StevieB Thank you so much and I will be definitely asking for help for my next projects. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sandy_d. Many thanks for sharing this very special project.

You've done a sensational job! I love the use of recycled timber and how you've incorporated an element of remembrance. I trust it makes gathers even more special.

You should be very proud of your efforts. For someone new to building things, you get full marks. You've achieved a fantastic level of finish, and I can't wait to see what you contribute next.

Well done.

Mitchell

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

@MitchellMc Thank you so much for your kind words. I’m looking forward to making some beautiful memories :smile: 

iolene
Cultivating a Following

great job! I love the spoon handles and upcycling the pallets

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

@iolene @Thank you so much. My mum loved cooking so it just seemed perfect to use her spoons :smile: 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @iolene. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the conversation.

It's great to see you've found this amazing project inspirational. Would you like to build something similar? I trust @sandy_d would be more than happy to provide some pointers, and the rest of the community is more than happy to assist as well.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden and would encourage you to let us know if you ever need help or have something to share. You'll find loads of inspiration similar to this project within the community, as our creative members share their ideas here every day.

Mitchell

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

This is great 😊 I love it @sandy_d 

sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

Aww thank you @mich1972 🥰

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects