Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. cubby houses

Yorky88
Becoming a Leader

D.I.Y. cubby houses

YorkyCubby.jpg

I just decided on a whim to build my boys a cubby house on the weekend and I just wanted see what other people have done.

If you have built a cubby I'd love to see it.

My cubby is still a work in progress but  I will post some progress pictures below.

I am building this completely from scratch and off the top of my head without any plans.

Cubby Cubby2.jpgIMG_0481.JPG

Cubby4.jpg

Re: D.I.Y. cubby houses

Mine was quite high at 1500. I based the height asst what was required for the slide plus a raise under the landing. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

What an inspiring project and topic @Yorky88. I am currently building a cubby house out of pallets and taking plenty of ideas from here.

This will be my second attempt at one, so I'm hoping to add a few extras on this time. I would like to make a little half pallet shop off to the side, with baskets hanging from it for vegetables and goods. Since I rent I'm getting concerned it will start to become cumbersome to move if needed. I thought maybe I could make the shop section not permanently connected to the house, so they can be separated if needed.

The modular nature could allow me to construct additional segments as my daughter grows (Only 14 months now).

Here's my progress so far.

Mitchell

Cubby.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey @MitchellMc   thats looking great mate well done. It’s always hard when renting but making it in a modular design is a great idea. Depending on how much room you have to play with you could do a few different options. You could simply  build 1 wall as a shop front facade that attaches to the existing cubby that your daughter can go behind and sell her pretend goods. And knock up a few small trolleys to (have in the store) as shelving.

Another option would be that you build another cubby exactly the same as what you already  have and make it so that you can join it to your existing cubby using a couple of over head rails that you could hang a swing off of if there is enough height and you have enough space

20200413_174337.jpg

 Ours is changing and growing all the time. Foundations and framework are fixed but the walls and activities are always changing.  We just made a cargo net this weekend instead of the climbing wall

Re: Cubby house

Hi @MitchellM, I hope this message reaches you - I know the post was a couple of years ago now.

I've just stumbled across you cubby house - and love it! I think it's the perfect size for our small backyard. 

You mentioned you used 8 pallet's - did that include the upright posts for the framing?

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to DIY but thought this isolation season is the perfect time to attempt to build my son a cubby house!

Fingers crossed I'll hear from you soon :smile:

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Hi @missymundt. Thanks for your feedback! Out of the 8 pallets there will be plenty of pieces to make the uprights. On this cubby I did however use additional timber to save time. A few post previously to yours, you will see I am currently building another similar cubby. It uses uprights sourced from the pallets.

Have fun building your cubby, feel free to ask any other questions you have.

Mitchell

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Go. Thank you @MitchellM for your speedy response! Nerves aside, I’m really excited to give this a go! ☺️

grinningchook
Just Starting Out

Thanks for posting this it turned out great and glad your boys love it.   I have a large cat cage (2.4 x2.4 x1.8 dog enclosure from bunnings)  and I was looking at enclosing it so the cats have shade and protection from the rain, but to still allow a sunny area for them to sit in and enjoy.  I think this will solve my problem, I can leave the cage open and build one of these inside for them to lie in and get out of the weather if they desire. Will just close in the openings with plastic bottles or poly so it is like a window with a shelf (one cat always sits on the windowsill inside)  and then add a few staggered shelves up the walls for them to sit on.   Adding it to my to do list!  Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @grinningchook

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your plans about your large cat cage.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the cat cage? Are you building a cat tunnel from your house to the cage? It sounds like a very interesting project. Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your cat's new sitting area. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects