Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Decking oils - which is best?

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Decking oils - which is best?

With a lot of talk about decking ('tis the season after all) I thought it'd be good to share our experiences and preferences with decking oils as there are many on the market. There's water based and oil based. Different levels of gloss. Colours. And everything in between.

For me, you can't go past Cutek Extreme. It's a top quality product and one I've used several times myself. I know some carpenters and a couple of building supplies companies that use/recommend it too. It gives a beautifully natural finish (without tinting), is long lasting and has the versatility of being tinted to your desired colour/tone. I've always found the timber I've applied it to is well preserved over the years. (I don't benefit from the "promotion" of this product)

Unfortunately it's not available at Bunnings, but I have always heard good things about Cabot's and Feast & Watson (which are available at Bunnings) too.

Keen to hear from others.

20191011_114748.jpg

PS WÜRTH SS decking screws FTW.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Decking oils - which is best?

Thanks for kicking off the discussion @ProjectPete.

I used Intergrain Ultradeck on my deck renewal project a few years back and was very happy with the results so that's what I use and recommend these days.  

Looking forward to hearing from others in the community. It's certainly the season to be getting your deck reading for entertaining over the summer.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Nice one @Jason. There are just so many out there and like paint there are some stand out brands but will always come back to a person's experience/preference.

May be worth adding to the convo...

How often do you oil your deck? Do you stick with the standard once-a-year? Or do you have a different frequency?

My personal/recommended approach is 1 coat on underside (and obviously all cuts/joins) at install followed by 2-3 coats on top. Give it another coat in 6 months (from install date), then once-a-year moving forward. The more you stay on top of it, the better - you'll reduce the likelihood and frequency of needing to sand it back as well as oil it to bring it back to life.

What do you use to apply your oil?

I've used the decking applicator pads before and rollers. On the decking I'm doing now I've rolled the first coat and plan to try this brush to finish it off. Interested to see how it goes.

----------
Handy and helpful

Hi All,

We had around 80 sqm of decking installed, 60 out the back, 20 out the front. I used cutek oil on the front deck, and intergrain on the back. The cutek soaks into the wood, the intergrain product acted more like a sealant. Both are 1 year into their life, the intergrain that isn't undercover has peeled and worn and that timber has cupped and split, the intergrain undercover (no elements) is fine. The cutek that is both exposed to elements and undercover has greyed to a patina, but the wood is still in perfect condition.

Just about to embark on bringing the back deck to life, before using Cutek on it this time around.

Great to hear you comparative experience with the two products @Andrew8754!

You can add a toner to the Cutek to give the timber renewed (colour) life too. Fantastic product IMO.

----------
Handy and helpful
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have used Feast Watson Wet Look on the front and back steps, not exactly decking but still wood. Well check in daylight how much damage has been done out the back by the sun and dog.

I picked up some scratch and dent Feast Watson Japan Black Exterior for a dog bed and a meter box. Japan Black decking is on the cards around the pond.

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Hi all

I tried Feast and Watson's Natural Decking Oil as I saw hoping to let the timber shine as naturally as possible. I applied it onto new decking (Karri) and some on existing decking (unknown type and after some hectic sanding).

Very happy with the results on both. Brought back both timbers to their natural glory. 

Cheers 

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Andrew8754. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for contributing to the discussion.

Your experience with a deck that is just one year old doesn’t sound typical. I have discussed it with the Intergrain team and they would like to learn more and assist you. Could you please reply to my private message so I can pass on your contact details?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I do have a noticeable line on the back step where Marty and the sun have gone to work.

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Japan Black looks so good for decking and would be awesome around a pool. I considered switching mine to Japan Black but decided to keep the (more) natural timber tones of the Pacific Teak as I have whites/light greys and blacks throughout the area.

----------
Handy and helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects