Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Front verandah renovation

Imesh
Growing in Experience

Front verandah renovation

Hi all, Im planning on removing the existing front verandah as its old and has some rotting. We also dont like the curved roofing, which makes the house look small. So instead going for a flat roof, opening out the front of the house which will be rendered soon afterwards, along with a fresh paint on the roof as well.

The existing structure is 10.5m long x 1.4m wide (width is from the facia rather than the brick wall), has 3 posts as seen on the photo. The middle post is actually not aligned with the garage door. 

My question: instead of the middle 2 posts, can i have one post in the middle at the 5m mark, while using 112x112mm posts for the the corner and the centre. Currently have 185x42mm beams, and was wondering if thats sufficient support or should i go with th 280x42mm.

Thanks in advance.

20210922_162315.jpg

20210922_211812.jpg

shauny
Building a Reputation

Re: Front verandah renovation

I am no expert Imesh, but it looks like your post placement currently matches with the joins of different sections of beams? Which means you would need new beams to span further if you want to minimise your number of posts.

This is where you need to understand how it is attached to the house, the different measurements on all the current parts of it/what you want to build and start checking span/roofing tables.

Bit of work there, but there is always a solution. You could also look at using metal beams which can span greater lengths and use their poles and connectors. A few things to consider here.

Certainly wait for an expert with more roofing knowledge though.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Imesh

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your query about your front verandah renovation.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @shauny. The posts that are currently supporting your verandah have been engineered to support the weight of the frame and roofing sheets. If you are using the same frame and move the posts from their designated positions, it will weaken the structure and produce undesired results. I recommend engaging the services of a professional builder who can determine if moving the posts are safe. 

However, if you're replacing the entire structure you can ask your builder if the posts can be placed in the positions you've indicated in your picture. It sounds like a great project, any updates you can provide while upgrading your verandah would be much appreciated.

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear and @tom_builds for their recommendations.

If you need further advice or information, please let us know.

Eric     

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

I support the views of both @shauny  and @EricL on this. It is not only weight distribution to consider but also wind loading. With too few posts a storm could make your verandah roof twist which could then compromise the safety of the whole roof. Definitely consult a building engineer &/or experienced builder before making such changes, for the safety of your home.

Imesh
Growing in Experience

Thanks @EricL @TedBear @shauny I think i forgot to mention a crucial part, that im removing the existing structure and building everything from scratch. But thanks for the advice, I might revisit the design.

Edit: After revisiting my design, came up with 4 posts instead of 3. The placing of the posts from left to right will be corner, then at 3.8m, 6m and 8.2m.

My next question was about the beams. Should I use 185x42mm timber ( this is the size of the beams used on the current frame). Also should i have the beams join at each post, or can i have longer beams that join at the next post.

Im also planning on wrapping the posts to make them larger.

Im also thinking of using 90x45 treated timber for rafters at 600mm intervals.

Thanks heaps.

HOUSE FACADE.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Imesh,

I will tag @MitchellMc to see if he can assist with your additional questions. 

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Imesh,

The answers you're looking for can be found in various construction codes and timber spans tables. Personally, I would find it quite difficult to cross-reference them and find the answer, as there are quite a few variables to consider. Even then, it would be my interpretation of them, and this may or may not be correct. 

I suspect the first post was placed oddly in front of the drive to space them all evenly or because the 185 x 42 can't span 3.8m unsupported with the load it's carrying. The use of LVL beams instead of timber or a different construction technique could allow you the spacing you require.

There are quite a few calculations that need to be done in order to answer your question about post positioning, and an understanding of construction codes and techniques is also required. This is where engineers and architects come into play as they are well versed in these areas. I'd suggest the best way to achieve your project as a D.I.Y. would be to engage in one of their services to put some plans together for you. Have you checked with your local council to see if submission of plans is required for your proposed works? Once you have these plans, you'll be able to follow them yourself to complete the project.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Imesh
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc @Jason. Will do a post once i get all that confirmed. 

Imesh
Growing in Experience

Hi @MitchellMc , long overdue post. The front pergola is complete. Got an experienced tradie, who did an fantastic job. Few more things to do - fill the cracks on the cypress posts, sanding and stain+varnish. Will be starting the decking project soon (which ill start a new post for it). 

Appreciate all the support and advice. 

Imesh.

20220108_162321.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks fantastic, @Imesh; what a transformation!

I can't wait to follow along with your deck build. Will that be out the front here too?

Many thanks for sharing your update.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects