Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach small pergola to metal fascia

j_nilesh
Finding My Feet

How to attach small pergola to metal fascia

Hi All , I am planning to build small pergola to the side of my alfresco. Just wondering "How to attach small pergola to metal fascia"

Bunning video talks about the wood fascia to attach walling plate but what about metal fascia. As i understand i need to screw the plate with the roof rafters. But question is to locate the roof rafters behind the metal fascia?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach small pergola to metal fascia

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @j_nilesh. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

You won't be attaching the pergola to the fascia you are attaching it to the rafters behind the fascia. The fixings do go through the fascia but the rafters are the structural timbers that support the pergola. You'll need to work out where the rafters are located.

You might need to remove fascia and/or guttering and install noggins from rafter to rafter hard up against the back of the fascia. You would then screw/bolt the waling plate through the metal fascia into the noggins. 

If you take some images of the attachment point our helpful members might be able to provide additional solutions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc 

yes, you are right. I need to attach to rafters. So my question to you and the other members is easy way to find rafter location behind metal fascia.. so that my screws from front timber can go to roof rafters behind colourblind metal fascia..

I have to build very small pergola say 1m from fascia to fence.. attaching fee pictures.

1C33C597-4285-434F-8C61-7261669F2FD4.jpeg

63D437CB-5938-4600-84FD-0BF48E092567.jpeg

BEAB3E2D-684C-4794-9A62-861F2B59E2DC.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@j_nilesh,

You could use a stud detector on the eave lining underneath the roof to give you a general idea of their location. The issue is determining where they finish and the length of fixings needed to go through the fascia and into them. The rafters don't always finish directly behind the fascia. Without removing the fascia it would be difficult to get an idea of what you are fixing into.

Let me mention a few of our knowledgeable members @Brad, @TedBear and @ProjectPete who might like to join the discussion.

Mitchell

Gyprock sheeting under the verandah?

I have used those "super-duper" rare earth magnets (from Jaycar) to locate nail/screw heads which will determine the wood location and direction.

Thanks @MitchellMc  for the info.

Is there any info available to remove the metal facia and put it together? How to remove the brackets in the corner with some nail and put is together?

or would be easy to take the some tiles and locate the rafters?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@j_nilesh,

I am not aware of any step-by-step guides on removing metal fascia and/or how to put it back together again. You'll most likely find the corners of the fascia have been pop-riveted together and the rivets need to be drilled out.

You might like to remove a tile to get an idea of what is going on underneath. There could be a sarking layer that would prevent you from viewing the rafters unless it is cut. It's not a great idea to cut the sarking layer unless you are going to repair it with a suitable tape like Ametalin 48mm x 50m Insulation And Ducting Tape afterwards.

Mitchell

trentp
Getting Established

@j_nilesh 

Gday mate,

Im currently doing this. I used the brackets in the photo. Take some tiles off your roof where your trusses are, attach an additional 90x45 piece up the truss and attach this bracket with M10 bolts. If you use a drill with a 6mm bit you can drill the holes in the fascia for the bracket to then come through. 

You then attach the pergola to this bracket. It seems hard but once you do the first one you’ll be fine. I had to do 12 for the length of my pergola. 

This was also recommended by my council as I got a permit and they advised this way of doing it. 

Hope it helps 2494A9D6-14AA-470A-8967-DF3ECD2EEA9D.png

@trentp 

Hi Trent, could you upload a picture of what your project with the fascia bracket looked like when finished?  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @trentp

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

Thank you so much for sharing that information. Let me tag @j_nilesh to make them aware of your recommendation. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your project? I'm sure our members would be keen to see how you built your pergola. Any updates you can provide would be much appreciated. 

We look forward to seeing photos of your pergola project.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects