Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a deck - newbie

cpc6128
Finding My Feet

How to build a deck - newbie

Hi all,

I’ve Decided to try and do my first DYI project to build a deck (merbau wood) and would appreciate any tips/advice during my planning stage - mainly the framing side of things I’m trying to get my head around.

Here is my sketch of the Afresco/concrete area for starters- I have a drain in the centre, rainwater runs off the top terrace. I think I may need some sort of ‘access’ in the deck to clean this drain from time to time. 

layout idea.png

My questions…

A - How do you work out the spacing between beams? Struggling to get started on how much wood is required. 

B - I intend to use H3 wood since it will be off ground to allow air and drainage using mounts), is it necessary to go H4?

C - Do you also mount the beams to the brickwork (doors) and brick pillars or just rely solely on the mounts to the concrete slab?

D - For mounting - Should I be using either galvanized angle brackets or Builders Edge 25-40mm mini foot pedestal feet?

Appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a deck - newbie

Hello @cpc6128

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a deck.

I recommend having a look at this guide - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W. This guide will give you the necessary information to see what you need to take into consideration when planning your decking frame. I also suggest having a look at this one - How to a build a deck by @MitchellMc. This has a video guide that should make planning your decking frame a lot easier.

The spacing between the beams is usually dictated by the size of the timber framing that you use. To get you started, I suggest using the commonly used gap of 450mm between joists. When choosing timber, H3 is the lowest you would want to go as far as treatment is concerned, H4, on the other hand, has been treated so that you can have direct contact with the soil.

How you build your frame will dictate the type of support it will need. If you place a ledger on the side of the house then this will be its mounting point. If you were to place posts and have no contact with the house whatsoever then it will be classified as a free-standing frame. For mounting or footing, the height of your deck will determine which product will be ideal for the situation.   

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Inspiring low-level deck builds

Bunnings also has a seven-part series on how to build a deck:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to build a deck - newbie

Thank you Eric, will go through those links and hopefully I'll get an idea how to get started.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects