Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a new deck where current pavers are?

ricm
Finding My Feet

How to build a new deck where current pavers are?

Hi there,
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated... We are building a new deck in an area with pavers in the back. We have an uneven area of pavers up against timber sleepers in the garden corner, my question is - what would you advise that we use to put under the decking to make the area level? If we put 'build tuff' as bases and attached the whole frame base to the side sleepers, would this work?  . 
JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Building a new deck where current pavers are

Hi @ricm,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us on the verge of a new decking project.

If possible, the best option with any decking project is to concrete and set posts, which will allow for the deck to sit up over the uneven ground, if it's possible to remove some pavers and set posts into the ground, this is usually your best option.

If this is not possible there are a variety of options for adjustable pedestal feet, that allow levelling over uneven surfaces assuming the paver base is adequate to support the weight. These are also a good option, but they rely on the assumption that the pavers underneath are sturdy and will not move.

Alot of the design will come down to the specifics of the project. If you could upload some pictures and add some measurements, I will be happy to assist further.

You might also like to check out our Top 10 most popular low-level deck projects and Top 10 most popular deck projects for some examples of what others have achieved.

Let me know if you need any assistance uploading photos.

Jacob

ricm
Finding My Feet

Hi Jacob, 

I wasn't expecting such a fast response! I went to my local Bunnings yesterday but they told me to come back Tuesday to ask a tradesman, so this is awesome, Thank you. 

Ive attached some pictures, ideally I prefer not to go from the pavers as it will make the deck very high. 

I would add my DIY ability is somewhere between beginner and intermediate :smile: I have build gates, fences and screens previously but not much more.IMG_5250.jpgIMG_5251.jpgIMG_5252.jpg

Ric

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ricm,

For the best results with a deck, my advice is always to add posts concreted at a suitable depth for strength and rigidity. This is not a difficult process, but it is labour intensive and will mean you'd have to remove some pavers and dirt.

Would it be possible to do a mock-up of where you want the deck to go? Additionally, some basic measurements of the area would help. 

This will help me better visualise what you're trying to achieve and offer more tailored advice on what products and timbers would be best for a deck in this area.

In the meantime, you may also want to do some research on your local councils' regulations on decks as it may have some bearing on the size of deck you can build without council approval. This will also help to guide you on what is and isn't possible without professional assistance.

Decks aren't too difficult to build as long as they are well thought out and a good plan is put in place beforehand. I'm excited to see what you can achieve, so please keep in touch.

Jacob

ricm
Finding My Feet

Hi Jacob,

Many thanks,

I've mocked up something. I don't want to plan it all just yet but I have grand plans and if I can complete the first part I will move on to the next phase. See the first 2 phases. We want to use composite decking. The 3rd phase would involved replacement of the old timber decking (not on pics) as well so it's a biggy!  

Regarding the step between the pavers and the brown bricks level, happy to leave the step OR create a slope, OR heighten in line with the white pavers.

Wondering just where to start tho! 

I have checked the council and we are good to go on the size and height of the structure. 

Thanks again Jacob. phase 1 plan.jpgphase 2 plan.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ricm,

I'd suggest a place to start might be to assess whether it is possible to remove the pavers to allow for post holes to be dug. You might like to try to gently remove a paver or two along the fence line to assess what is underneath. My concern with a deck of this size being supported by pedestal feet sitting on pavers is that it relies entirely on the pavers to support both the weight of the deck and the weight of whatever is placed on the deck. You would want to be fairly confident, especially around a pool, in the ability of the pavers to bear weight. Concreted posts are definitely the best way to go and assessing their viability might be the best place to start.

With the second phase of the deck, you might want to have an engineer assess the area as any changes near the proximity of the pool wall are likely to have some effect on it and you wouldn't want any possibility of the pool wall failing. 

If you wanted to complete the first phase of the deck as a separate project, you should decide now whether you want phase 1 of your project to sit at the same height as phase 2 or you are happy to have the deck step down. Once phase 1 is completed, there's no real way for you to change the height. 

Another thing you might like to look at is a tool list that you would need before starting this project. I would suggest at minimum you would need a mitre saw, drill and impact driver, sawhorses, spirit level, and a hand saw alongside all relevant personal protective equipment including gloves, eye protection, hearing protection, long sleeve work shirt, long pants and enclosed shoes. There are certainly other tools that will come in handy, but at minimum I would say you need the ones I've listed to carry out this job.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any thoughts or guidance they can offer, @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @TedBear, @Noyade.

Once you've done some thinking about what is possible and what you'll need to do prior to commencing the job, I am happy to offer more assistance.  

Jacob

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @ricm 

:smile: Love decks! and trying to figure out how to build them, its liek a puzzle but in 3D.

Going through your pictures a few times I have some questions of course :smile:

Q1 - First one up is "Which paving level" is ground level? The stepped up area looks like it could be level with the fenceline ground level, the rear level looks like it has been built up?

Q2 - The brown curves are where you are thinking of the composite decking?

Q3 - Do you know why the sand has disappeared from under the pavers near the side fence?

If you put a deck over the pavers without removing them I think it may look a little high.  Especially near the edge of the pool and the view you would have over the fence.

I would be tempted to remove the top level of pavers and that way give enough room for the deck to fit with a resonable step up to it. I would also figure out why the sand has gone as maybe something pipe wise for the pool is leaking and letting it run away?

As to the support for the deck I would go for a concrete stirup, mainly because the hole with the stirrup in concrete wont move as likely and that way your deck will stay solid. (compared to one of the tuff stuff deck supports)

The last bit about the stages you have planed I agree with @JacobZ  about forward planning. If you troll through my bookmarks you will see plenty of sketches, sometimes they come to fruition, sometimes not. But they all help steer me towards something solid.  My stormwater rectification is a good example. There was a fix needed for the stormwater itself and that was planned for, then there was landscaping that would result but I didnt plan for how big it ended up being at first. The more I sat with a coffee and sketched the more it fleshed out. In the end it mad eme pause on certain stages and continue on others so they would all come together. I dislike double handling things :smile:

Dave

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Re: How to build a new deck where current pavers are?

Hi @ricm As with both @JacobZ & @Dave-1 recommendations, I would avoid using the existing pavers as the base to support the new deck. The additional weight will most likely cause the instability as they suppress in to the ground under the load. Having said that I don't think you need to pull them all up either. Instead only those 4 at each stirrup as per @Dave-1 suggestion or actual stump. Having said that the issue will be the finished height of the deck where it meets the pool over the copping that nerds to be considered, as this will be substancially higher. Sorry I'm not offering a solution, but considerations as its a complicated project.

Nailbag

ricm
Finding My Feet

Thank you for all of this Jacob. I appreciate you tagging the other guys in too. I have made a note of the tool list, some of these I already have others not. This one is potentially complex as you know so I will have another think about a plan of attack. I very much appreciate your speedy and friendly assistance. 

ricm
Finding My Feet

Hi @Dave-1,

Thanks heaps for your thought on this project! 
Q1 - the 'ground' level is the brown brick tile area closest to the pool.  

Q2 - yes but in general we want to have composite decking all over, we have had timber before and we wanted to try something different.

Q3 - there is a bit of history to that area, when we moved in there were 3 large palm trees and we had to hack them down because not only were they overgrown and limiting to use of the area, after much inspection by multiple plumbers, they were also the cause of crushed pipes deep down involving the main sewer line - these trees roots also managed to completely crush stormwater pipes too so they had to be totally removed and the whole area was repaired with new pipes and such. When the pavers were fitted we were warned that they might sink over time as we were putting them over the remains of the tree stumps. 

Totally agree about it being too high on top of pavers, it would mean we are directly looking into all neighbour's gardens which we don't want, so I'm happy to either take ALL the pavers away (there could be a use for them on the side of the house, or just a few key pavers whatever is best and use concrete stirups as you suggest. 

Regarding levels, I know the minister for home affairs (the Mrs) wants one level of deck only going from the existing decking area (to be replaced) through to the far right side, with. no dip down to the pool, however as someone noted this will make the pool very steep to get into, so Im not in favour of this, Id rather keep the levels the same (ish) and just add the new decking. 

Where do you suggest I begin? 

Thanks Dave :smile:IMG_5292.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects