Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to notch fence rails around a curved corner?

jt-trestles
Just Starting Out

How to notch fence rails around a curved corner?

Hi there,

I want to update a fence by removing some aluminium panels and replacing them with rails and pickets. The existing posts are in good condition, so I'm planning on reusing those - however there's one challenge I'm struggling to wrap my head around.

I live on a corner block and the fencing wraps around a corner in a bevelled/gradual way (pics below for reference). I've watched a range of online tutorials videos and understand that I should notch the posts for the rails to sit in. However, I'm struggling to work out the best way to do this for the sections that curve around the corner. I have found one video that did something similar - however, they opted to cut the rails to match the distance/angles of the inside of the posts and then simply screwed them into the side. I imagine this is not as strong or durable?

Any thoughts on best way to approach?

Thanks heaps

Jacob

IMG_9717.jpgScreen Shot 2024-03-20 at 7.15.43 pm.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Notching fence rails around a corner / curve

Hello @jt-trestles (Jacob)

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your fence rails.

Notching your timber post and inserting the rail into it means that whatever load is placed on the rails it will be transferred to the post because of the notch. If the rail is screwed on directly to the post this means that all the fence weight will be held together by two screws on the post.

I suggest offsetting the position of the rail when you get to the curve. One rail will be at the top the next rail will be at the bottom of the first top rail. In this manner the rail will get a solid grip on the post and will have a full seat on the notch rather than sharing it with the other rail.

Let me call on our experienced members @woodalwaysworks, @diy_hausdesigns and @WoodenGregsWood for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects