Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to start revamping backyard?

Bolo
Finding My Feet

How to start revamping backyard?

view from patioview from patio1view from concrete slabview from concrete slabview to concrete slab 1view to concrete slab 1view from back fence - looking to front fence which will be access pointview from back fence - looking to front fence which will be access pointcloser look toward front fence/ access point - please ignore the washingcloser look toward front fence/ access point - please ignore the washingtree stump 1tree stump 1plant to removeplant to removetree stump 2tree stump 2tree stump 3tree stump 3tree stump 4tree stump 4view from back shed looking to house/ poolview from back shed looking to house/ poolview along side from patioview along side from patioconcrete slab to removeconcrete slab to remove

Any ideas where to start and how/ where to get advice to gut/ clear/ level backyard - except pool.

First time user to this platform and first ever renovation so totally lost - appreciate any advice.. FYI - had no luck contacting any landscapers around the area - Logan Qld.

Cheers!

Andrew

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Where/ How to start to clear/ level out backyard

Hello @Bolo

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to start revamping your backyard.

Before you get the keys to the mini digger, I suggest measuring the area you have to work with and sketching out the look you want your backyard to have. A seating area with a fire pit in the middle, a uniform paved pathway that meanders around the pool or perhaps a pergola near your barbeque area? These are just some of the typical things you can put in your backyard. It all comes down to the look you are after. 

Plus it doesn't have to happen all at once, you have a big backyard and building these items will take time. Don't forget the plants, it's important to include them in your design so that it does not look too industrialized.  The combinations for a new look are abundant, you also need to take your budget into consideration.

At the moment I would leave your current backyard as is, as it is prepared to accept rainwater. Changing this balance means that you have to account for the change in drainage. I suggest dividing the efforts into sections so that you will not be overwhelmed. Once you've finalized your plans then you can start levelling the area. 

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration:  Top 10 most popular garden makeovers.

Here are some amazing backyard projects our Workshop members have shared.

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno, @diy_hausdesigns and @lcooksey88 for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your backyard makeover.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: Where/ How to start to clear/ level out backyard

Hey @Bolo , 

Be aware that we're going into another heavy wet season with La-Nina around the corner, so as @EricL mentioned I would be doing things in parts instead of as a whole, unless you can get it done before late spring. There are quite a few treeloggers / landscapers around Logan so I'm sorry you haven't had any luck, I know a guy but I'm unable to advertise on here (apologies). 

Tree stumps are where I would start, that's a pretty straightforward process: 

1. Dig around the stump, exposing all the roots (or as many as you can). 
  2. Use a combination of a chainsaw, hatchet, and handsaw to cut the big roots. Use clippers on the small roots.
  3. Once the roots are cut, lift the stump out and fill the hole with dirt. Cover the dirt appropriate to what you want there (such as prepping for grass).

Next I would do the concrete slab, I'd hire a breaker to crumble it into pieces that I can carry and then. You have a lot of concrete there, so I'd be using a wheelbarrow and hiring a skip bin to make life easier. 

From there it's a matter of what you're wanting in the backyard. As @EricL said, draw up a plan and create a wishlist of the area, that way you can determine what you can DIY and what you'd need to bring a professional in for.

Just to note as well, I cant see if your pool is completly fenced off in your yard, If it isn't, I'd make this your priority, because it doesn't look like it's compliant with QLD pool fencing laws. Might be a good oppurtunity to do a good pool makeover with a deck and re-do the fencing?

Hope this helps, 

Remarka6le
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to start revamping backyard?

Hi @Bolo,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

As Eric has mentioned, it's important not to feel overwhelmed and feel like you have to tackle everything at once with a big project. I would recommend you follow the advice in this article by experienced member @Adam_W - How to plan a garden makeover. The idea is to start thinking of your goals first and then come up with a plan. Then you can start tackling little jobs at a time as you work to achieving your plan. 

We're more than happy to assist. Have a look at the article and let us know what are some of your goals for your backyard? How would you like to use the space and how would you like it to look?

Hope that helps,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects