Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New pergola

DIYgals
Becoming a Leader

New pergola

IMG_9172.JPGHey All,

I thought I'd share some of the projects we have been working on at our new house. Here's some images of our new pergola, we think it's pretty great. Best of all every time we work on a project we learn something new and gain more and more confidence to give something bigger and better a crack! 

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to share any tips and tricks. :smile:

P.S: Ignore the funny looking stormwater pipes in the back, we hadn't yet connected it properly in these pics.

DIYgals_0-1614225666326.gif

IMG_8868.jpg

IMG_9172.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: New Pergola

Wow, wonderful work @DIYgals. You should feel really proud of what you have achieved. It looks fantastic and I'm sure will inspire plenty of other Bunnings Workshop community members. Many thanks for sharing the photos and the terrific time-lapse video. We will feature your handiwork on our Project Gallery.

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us. You obviously have a lot of skills, experience and knowledge to share with other members so we are looking forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden. We trust that in return you will also get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from other members - you'll see we have loads of like-minded people on the site sharing terrific projects every day.

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site, or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
DIYgals
Becoming a Leader

Thanks so much Jason!

We have learnt so much from others on forums such as the Bunnings Workshop community, hopefully we can help some others do the same. :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Very skilled work, @DIYgals

I'd like to know if there was anything you'd have done differently or if you ran into any issues during construction. 

Many thanks for sharing, as I trust your build will be of great inspiration to our other members.

Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc,

Things ran very smoothly for the pergola. We had issues with internal gutter brackets, we found they were a bit difficult to work with and get the correct fall. We switched to external brackets on the studio and shed and found they were much easier to work with.

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Hey @DIYgals 

This looks great! Well done! 

Couple of questions:
1. What sort of posts are those? Look like steel? Colourbond posts perhaps? What length are they?

2. Did you buy a pre-fab kit, or build from scratch? Do you have any designs or drawings you might share?

3. Do you have any in progress shots of the deck and designs/drawings too?

4. Would you be able to add a photo of how you've attached the lights? Do you think I would be able to attach a ceiling fan if I use a similar design?

Thanks

itai

DIYgals
Becoming a Leader

Thanks @Itai ,

Yes, these are painted galvanised steel. 

We designed and built this from scratch. I'm sure we have some drawing we would be happy to share with you. Send me a private message. 

Yes, I will upload a better photo of the lights, we have electrical facilities to install a fan but haven't yet got around to that one.

Thanks,

Lauren

shauny
Building a Reputation

@DIYgals Just wanted to check with you what size your beams are for scale, and is it just two bolts drilled through the post and beam? 

Final question, did you set your gal posts into concrete or use a bracket on a concrete pad?

Your deck and pergola are exactly what I am wanting to build, just done to the size I need to fit in with.

Your's came up great!

DIYgals
Becoming a Leader

Hi @shauny ,

The beams are 240x45x5300 ad 240X45x5100, two large bolts are used to attach each end to the galv posts.

We set out galv. posts into concrete. We dug larger concrete footings and poured concrete pads to get the correct heights first ( I wish I had a photo of this to show you), allowed the pads to dry and then set the posts on the pads and cemented in. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck with the project ahead!

:smile:

pats6182
Having an Impact

Re: New pergola

HI @DIYgals looks awesome! How did you attach the rafters to the beams. Did you skewnail or screwed it in? What size battens did you use? 

Thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects