Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Outdoor kitchen

darryl7
Building a Reputation

Outdoor kitchen

1575323819695141185811.jpg
JustinS
Cultivating a Following

Re: Outdoor kitchen

Thanks @darryl7 

JustinS
Cultivating a Following

Hi @darryl7 @did you paint the cement sheets under the bbq?

And also what material did you use for the panel finish on the end of the cabinets?

darryl7
Building a Reputation

Hi justin, i only painted the front edge of the cement sheet where i would see it. I didnt want to paint the whole sheet because of the heat. The end of the cabinets are only 90mm pine decking boards nailed vertically on the end board of the cabinet.

JustinS
Cultivating a Following

Thanks mate @darryl7 

tony1982
Building a Reputation

@darryl7 

Looks great, very inspirational! Any idea how the form ply would stand up to the elements in an exposed area? Thinking under our eave so would get some protection from the rain and due to the orientation would only get morning sun.

Would take quite a beating from rain when the win blows or there is a storm etc.

Any other suggestions on a cheap(ish) but durable soultion for something like this?

darryl7
Building a Reputation

@tony1982 

Hi tony, my previous kitchen was much more exposed than it is now and was that way for 7 years before i extended my pergola. The section with the bbq in it is my old kitchen added on to the new bench at the back with the pizza oven. I can tell no difference until i open a door and the black is a bit more faded on the older cabinets as this was also built from seconhand timber used on a concrete poor.

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Hi Darryl.

I know you mention formply for the cabinets. I assume that's just for the cabinet doors, and the cabinet carcasses are standard off-the-shelf? Or did you build the entire cabinet carcass from scratch too?

Do you have any during build images?

Also, you mentioned you extended the pergola ... I'm thinking to build one too. Do you have any photos of that build and how you went about doing it? Spacing of posts, beams, joists, etc?

Thanks

darryl7
Building a Reputation

@Itai 

I built the cabintes entirely from form ply, i didnt think to take any during photos as once i get my teeth into a project i just go flat out until finished. I dont have any photos of the pergola getting biult either. As far as size of beams and spacings goes, i have a book i bought from bunnings around 25 years ago that goes into all the requierments for what size beams to use. Im sure google nowdays would be your friend there. I hope your project turns out well.

Itai
Becoming a Leader

@darryl7 

Wow, that's pretty impressive! It's really difficult to build cabinets from scratch. Everything has to be perfectly square, and then I still haven't figured out how to line up everything correctly for drilling, especially drawers! Well done! 

ExampleJared
Just Starting Out

Hey @darryl7 ,

I'm currently building an outdoor bbq and I just had a few specific questions about the FC sheeting.

I'm wondering how you attached the FC sheeting under the bbq to the frame you built, did you nail from the BBQ side in? Also did you use any kind of heat tape or FC joint compound in the seams/corners where the FC butts together?

Cheers mate, build looks great.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects