Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Revamp ideas for outdoor BBQ area

linvz
Finding My Feet

Revamp ideas for outdoor BBQ area

7329D6BC-07D3-4671-AB43-76565D77EC8E.jpeg

  

I’m looking for ideas and suggestions on how to revamp this structure on our patio. We are going to have a build-in bbq which is not under the roof, so this will no longer be needed as the bbq area. 

CF2604A0-8327-416A-B606-41122EBA3413.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Revamp ideas for outdoor BBQ area

Hello @linvz

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. It's great to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about how to revamp your bbq area.

Will you be removing the old brick bbq stand? If you are, I suggest either turning it into a coastal lounge area complete with Rattan Furniture and fittings. You can add plants and turn the area into a mini garden paradise. There are a lot of possibilities for this area. Was there a look that you were after? 

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular outdoor furniture projects

Let me tag our experienced members @tom_builds and @Brad for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.   

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have an old brick BBQ that has a seat built in that was made by my uncle, it now mostly is used to hold up one end of the screen that stops the dog from running through the garden. It is more sentimental than practicle.

The marketing manager doesn't see the use of cooking outdoors when there is a big fire (gas) in the kitchen and outside has bugs. This from a person that uses a gram scale to measure out coffee beans to grind fresh for every cup.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Brad

Thank you for sharing that option. That's actually a very good idea turning the brick assembly into a long seat. It's just unfortunate that the brick assembly is right next to the post. Perhaps with a little bit of brick re-arrangement, it can still be turned into a seat. 

Eric

tom_builds
Making a Splash

Hi @linvz 

It could make for a nice outdoor bar with an bench top. Depending on the design of the brickwork you might also be able to blow the middle of it out as a space for a bar fridge.

Otherwise could be a good excuse for a bit of demolition fun, to open up the space under the roof.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@HandyAndy 

Wondering if you might have some ideas for @linvz about how to revamp this area. What would you do?

Thanks for sharing,

Jason

HandyAndy
Building a Reputation

thanks @Jason

bit of a tough one.

it looks as though the brickwork was completed before the paving, so if demolished, it will require some additional work to finish the ground area, this seems to be more work than necessary.

i would probably (depending on budget) have the brick work at rear and sides continued to the roof, or build some sort of back drop on top of the brickwork, and i would probably put a TV on there, maybe a stereo or soundbar, reclad the top surface to make it a bit more homely, 

if the new built in BBQ is going to be nearby, you could turn this into a kitchenette, forming an L-Shape outdoor kitchen with the new BBQ.

if the brick work is not a desired look, it could be clad in cement sheeting or decking.
I would also some how make the structure more suitable for storage, perhaps even for storing wood if there is (or will be) a fire pit/fire place.

if it suits the budget, it could be converted into a really nice fireplace, a bricklayer would know what do to here, but i'd say removing some of the mid section and rebricking to include the fireway, brick up through the roof with a chimney.

there are many ideas but not sure how the remainder of the space is used.

would you have some wider pictures @linvz , showing the entire space and any desired uses for the space?

Thank you for all the amazing ideas, they are all great and I really appreciate them all. We decided to rather build the bbq in an L shape connecting to this existing structure and the take a few layers of brick off and put a nice granite top on and cement the bricks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @linvz

It's great that you've got a plan in place. If you need more ideas or you have more questions about your project, please don't hesitate to post them. Our members would be more than happy to provide you with advice and information.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your new bbq area.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects