Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Screening an air conditioning condenser

homeinmelbourne
Becoming a Leader

Screening an air conditioning condenser

I was inspired by Rufaro (@Chaks_DIY)'s Enclosure to screen hot water tank and wanted to do a similar screening on a condenser unit in our backyard. 

IMG_6289.png 

• We started by measuring around the a/c condenser unit to make sure there was plenty of clearance in front for ventilation and air flow as well as space to accommodate some planter boxes up top.
  • We concreted in the corner post and fixed two treated pine lengths to the brick.
  • We then created 3 holders on the top for the 3 planter boxes to drop into (we used the Whites 495mm Charcoal Outdoor Garden Up Classic Pot)
  • We attached the merbau screening to the posts and for the bottom section, we used treated timber fence palings.
  • To finish, we painted everything in Dulux 'Monument'

BEFORE:

BEFORE: Old a/c condenser unit sitting on the ground with a brick edgingBEFORE: Old a/c condenser unit sitting on the ground with a brick edging

Installed a new unit and had it raised off the ground:

IMG_1917-preview.JPG

IMG_1824.jpg

Sanded with 120 grit and cleaned to prep for painting:

IMG_6447.JPG

(Buxus placed in front of screening for the photo only. It will be moved so as not to block air flow)(Buxus placed in front of screening for the photo only. It will be moved so as not to block air flow)

Courtyard/Pebbled area for potted plants. (Buxus placed in front of screening for photo purpose only. It will be moved so as not to block air flow)Courtyard/Pebbled area for potted plants. (Buxus placed in front of screening for photo purpose only. It will be moved so as not to block air flow)

Remarka6le
Amassing an Audience

Re: Screening an air conditioning condenser

@homeinmelbourne mate this looks awesome, I might have to steal this for a future project, well done :smile: 

Remarka6le
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @homeinmelbourne

What a beautiful air conditioning cover, it neatly blends in with the house and disguises that harsh industrial look of the condenser. The addition of the garden pebbles and plants softens the overall look of the area. 

Thank you for sharing your air conditioning screening project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Absolutely nailed it 😃 

Top shelf sophisticated restraint. I'll be keeping this in mind hahaha

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns

Thank you @diy_hausdesigns! I would never have thought to screen off the condenser unit until I saw your project.

Thank you again for inspiring so many of us!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi all,

There's been a lot of good discussion about this project on our social channels. We would like to remind readers that it is essential that any objects around an air conditioner's outdoor unit do not obstruct airflow and meet the manufacturer’s requirements. For details on required setbacks from walls or screens, it is best to refer to the installation guidelines for that specific unit.

If you would like specific advice about a project you intend to tackle, please don’t hesitate to hit the Start a discussion button here on Workshop. We're here to help.

Thanks again to @homeinmelbourne for sharing this popular project with us. 

Mitchell

homeinmelbourne
Becoming a Leader

Hi all,

Some specifications I failed to include in the original post: 

• 250mm clearance between the condenser unit and the screening;
  • Screening slats have 30mm spacings;
  • Clearance above the condenser unit is open and not enclosed - the planter boxes do not have contact with the condenser unit;
  • The condenser unit is away from direct sun all day/all year and in a shaded area of the backyard;

We saw a lot of discussion and feedback regarding this a/c condenser screening project and have made a change to the screening accordingly as well as for added peace of mind.

We installed a magnetic catcher and hinges to allow for improved heat exchange when the air conditioner is in use.

The screening slats can be easily opened when the air conditioner is in use.The screening slats can be easily opened when the air conditioner is in use.

We installed a magnetic catcher and hinges to allow for improved heat exchange when the air conditioner is in use.We installed a magnetic catcher and hinges to allow for improved heat exchange when the air conditioner is in use.

Hi @homeinmelbourne

Thank you so much for posting that update on your air conditioning screen. This upgrade should put all the worries to rest as the condenser is no longer blocked by anything. Now if only it was motorized and connected to the wifi.

Again, thank you for posting that fantastic update on your air conditioning screen.

Eric

TigerWoops
Just Starting Out

I have two of this kind and am looking for ideas, design, tools I need and materials. As having no experience I am afraid to start and don't know what to do and how to do. Great job!!!!

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @TigerWoops. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about screening.

Air conditioning condensers typically will have specifications on how close objects like screening can be placed. The first thing to do is look up your model's installation instructions and determine the setback required for anything that might block airflow. The unit in this post has exceptionally minimal setbacks, so it's important to check your model. Installing Merbau screening panels to block the view of your unit could be a more feasible option than a cover.

Once you've established the minimum distance requirements of the screening, you can begin sketching out how you'll build the cover. You'll might like to post some pictures of the units so our members have a better idea of what options would work. I've created a rendering below for you of how you could build a similar screening cover. 90 x 45mm treated Pine can be used for the framing uprights, treated Pine pailings for the skirting boards and Merbau screening for the slats. Climacoat screws can be used to join the skirting boards and slats to the frame timbers.

At a minimum, you'll need a handsaw or, preferably, a circular saw and a drill driver. Please make sure to wear appropriate PPE whilst constructing the project, like safety glasses and follow the manufacturer's directions on tool use.

This relatively straightforward project would be an excellent choice for someone new to D.I.Y.. I'm sure with the assistance of our helpful members, you'll have no issue completing this project.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects