Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Any identification on replacement latch/lock on French doors?

silver_pear
Just Starting Out

Any identification on replacement latch/lock on French doors?

Currently renovating our ensuite and installing secondhand french doors. 

They came without a latch, so I'm trying to figure out what type of latch could work in the space. Large block out on one side and minor rebate on the other. 

IMG_20200320_101431.jpg

IMG_20200320_101431.jpg

IMG_20200320_101447.jpg

IMG_20200320_101412.jpg

IMG_20200320_101402.jpg

  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Any identification on replacement latch/lock on French doors?

Just confirming these are internal doors @silver_pear? I'm sure our members will be happy to recommend some products for you that would be suitable for the doors.

Is this part of a larger renovation project? It would be great to see more.

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
wooshka
Making a Splash

IMG_20200308_133014.jpg

@silver_pear   A tear drop latch would do the job perfectly, Bunnings do sell them but i cant find one on the website

this is a pic of some doors i restored you can see the latch on there

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @silver_pear. Hope all is well with you.

Have you made any progress with selecting a latch to suit the cut-out? I trust the replies you have received have been helpful but thought I would add some info on changing the latch.

As @wooshka and @Brad mentioned, a tear drop-latch would suit the doors. In order to use a different type of latch or lock, you may need to fill the current cut-out in the door with some Builders Bog. I would recommend this over other products as it can be sanded, drilled, painted and is perfect if you need to install the new latch over the filled area.

Our step-by-step guides on How to mix builder's bog and How to install a door handle might be helpful to you. I have also attached the videos below. They show the mixing method for the filler and also the installation of a new locking mechanism. Please be advised the door handle guide depicts a standard internal door, but the methods used will be the same for your project.

If I can provide any further information or assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for your question and we look forward to seeing your project progress.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects