Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bathroom, laundry, kitchen refresh

RohanH
Building a Reputation

Bathroom, laundry, kitchen refresh

Plans.png

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some ideas for how to update a bathroom/laundry/kitchen space. I'm living in here at the moment but it may be rented out in the future when I move so I'm hoping to use durable/hard wearing components.

My aim is to update the area so it's visually appealing and functional, but ideally with minimal structural changes to reduce costs.

Floor plans:

Low-fi floorplanLow-fi floorplan

My thoughts so far have been:

1. ProjectPete style laundry benching along the side wall of the bathroom. Ie a wooden benchtop to cover the washing machine and enclose a sink, with subway tile splashback. I was thinking of omitting the upper cabinets to avoid cramping the room too much.  https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Bathroom-and-Laundry/My-laundry-reno/m-p/4618

2. Possibly knocking down the wall separating the toilet and vanity and re-orienting the toilet.  The toilet room is very small as it stands and you can't close the door if sitting on the toilet. 

3. Demolishing that corner cut out section where the stove is. As much as I want to minimise structural work, it takes up so much room in a small kitchen, and I'd like to add more benchspace, as well as a enclosure for the fridge, microwave and space for a dishwasher. I want to add an extra benchtop along the wall where the circular table currently is. possibly just with a bracket and no cabinetry underneath as a dining bench that faces the wall to provide a 'dining table' without taking up as much floor realestate.  Just not sure where best to put the fridge/ microwave/dishwasher. 

4. Floor - retile vs vinyl flooring vs just leave it? Not fussed as long as it looks good and is functional 

Budget: I'd like to keep it under 5k if possible, but know that might be tight if the above structural changes are involved..10k would be a definite upper limit 

Appreciate any input!

Cheers

Rohan

RohanH
Building a Reputation

Re: Refresh a bathroom / laundry/ kitchen zone

Love it! Especially the vases, they really bring the bring the place to life! I'll certainly consider the ceramic dolphins.

I'm hoping to have the cooktop front flush with a diagonal benchtop extending between the two benchtop surfaces but this might be may be tricky to model. Hopefully that will leave the drawers unencumbered.

Really appreciate the models!

Hello Rohan,

As promised here is your bathroom models.

Things to consider in this configuration:

- Standard washing machine height is 850mm you dont want your vanity too tall otherwise it becomes a pain to reach and use.

- You must have adequate access to the laundry taps. It must be easy enough for you to put the washing machine hoses on and for the machine outlet to be pluged into the plumbing outlet. It looks fantastic but if I have to call a handy man or a plumber to turn the taps off every time there is a leak . . . you may want to consider final position of washing machine taps.

- Plumbing for your vanity sink will be difficult and may need to use special fittings to avoid the washing machine.

- I suggest a sliding cavity door. This will take out the need for a swing area for the door and freeing up space for the toilet.

- I totally agree with closing off the toilet and vanity area to make it as 1 room.

- I kept a part of the wall separating the toilet and the vanity. This wall indicates the minimum space necessary for you to sit in your toilet area and not feel cramped in.

- Best to consult your builder on final position of walls and facilites in that area.

Goodluck and Cheers!

---Best to keep the shelves removable for easy access to plumbing and taps at the back.Best to keep the shelves removable for easy access to plumbing and taps at the back.rt2.pngThis approximately shows you what it might look like once the wall is up and the cavity sliding door is in place.This approximately shows you what it might look like once the wall is up and the cavity sliding door is in place.Nice big space now for you to sit and not get hit by the door.Nice big space now for you to sit and not get hit by the door.Here is the view from outside going in with the sliding door visible.Here is the view from outside going in with the sliding door visible.

This is the view of what that entrance might look from the kitchen.This is the view of what that entrance might look from the kitchen.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

cmtbuild
Just Starting Out

Re: Bathroom, laundry, kitchen refresh

Hi Rohan, I hope your end result.hss turned out good. I would like to ask which programs you have used for the floor plans and for the 3D image as we as about to do some renovations and would love to use this to give us some ideas.  Thanks 

Hello @cmtbuild

I used an old program called sketchup 8. It is what I use to sketch all my ideas.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @cmtbuild. Great to see you get such a prompt reply from the ever-helpful @redracer01.

This must be an exciting time for you with your renovation work approaching. I'm sure the Workshop community would love to help you with ideas, advice and inspiration.

I would encourage you to hit the Start a discussion button and share some photos of your house and some information about your plans. We have loads of experienced members who are happy to share their experience and knowledge.

Welcome to the community,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jowens
Getting Established

Awesome like the drawings and how you put things so clear to see. what program did you use to do this.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @jowens,

Thanks for joining in the discussion.

@redracer01 uses Sketchup for his excellent plans he shares with community members on the site.

Jason

jowens
Getting Established

Thank you Jason, will check it out

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No worries @jowens. Let us know how you go. I'm sure @redracer01 can share lots of tips.

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @RohanH,

Hope all is well. 

How are you going with your renovation work? 

It would be fantastic to get an update as this has been a very popular discussion in the past year. 

Thanks,

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects