Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you install vinyl flooring on an internal brick wall?

jtall
Getting Established

Can you install vinyl flooring on an internal brick wall?

Would it be possible to install vinyl flooring on an internal brick wall?

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Vinyl flooring on internal brick

Good Morning @jtall 

Now that is an interesting question I must admit... A Brick wall with the glue and then vinyl may be hard to smooth out any ripples and trying to figure out how to hold the vinyl in place as the glue dries. 

I just looked up vinyl glue and then read the spec sheet (You can find that down past the product itself on the webpage) dunlop 1l vinyl adhesive 

It does not sound like it would be recomended as the glue is meant for a smooth surface. So then you would be back to smoothing over bricks, glue and then vinyl. 

Are you trying to instal vinyl for a particular reason? VJ board comes to mind if all you would like to do is cover up the bricks and you can glue it to the bricks I think. easycraft 9 x 2400 x 1200mm easyvj100 primed general purpose wall lining 

Dave

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can you install vinyl flooring on an internal brick wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jtall. It's terrific to have you join us and we trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and project inspiration from other members of the community. Feel free to post anytime.

Can you tell us a little more about what you want to achieve from this project? And perhaps a photo of the space? 

My immediate thought was the same as Dave - we've had many members share inspiring VJ projects with us. Check out our Top 10 most popular VJ panelling projects for inspiration.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jtall
Getting Established

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for getting back to me.  I haven't heard of VJ board before so thanks for the tip.

There are a few reasons for wanting to cover this wall:

1. to provide insulation - the brick wall is a boundary for the family room and the garage and so it is quite cold in winter.  I wanted to use a covering that would provide some insulation.  Acrylic render seemed a lot of work.

2. to improve the look - it is a painted brick wall and not the nicest backdrop for a large artwork piece. 

3. I wanted to DIY as a cost saving.

I will explore the VJ board option.

Thanks again.

Julie

jtall
Getting Established

Re: Can you install vinyl flooring on an internal brick wall?

Thanks for your helpful reply, Jason.  As I mentioned to Dave reasons for covering this wall:

1. to provide insulation - the brick wall is a boundary for the family room and the garage and so it is quite cold in winter.  I wanted to use a covering that would provide some insulation.  Acrylic render seemed a lot of work.

2. to improve the look - it is a painted brick wall and not the nicest backdrop for a large artwork piece. 

3. I wanted to DIY as a cost saving.

Does VJ board only come in panelling look?

Thanks again.

Julie

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Afternoon @jtall 

VJ paneling keeps coming back to mind, I use to think its an old fashioned look (its on the wall of a bedroom I have lol and was there 12 years ago when I moved in) However looking at the projects people have poste din here has changed my mind totally. It does insulate, it would also deaden sound a little. If you happen to go the route I know we would love to see the project as a whole :smile: And yes, I take lots of photos when I working on a project, mostly to help me out if I ever need to change something or I want to know what products I used down the track (for instance what was the paint I used? )

Dave

jtall
Getting Established

Thanks, Dave. 

I will certainly look into VJ panelling.  If I do take that route I'll be sure to post some photos. 

Thank you again for your very helpful reply.

Julie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jtall 

Thanks for sharing your question about putting vinyl flooring on an internal brick wall. I agree with @Dave-1's assessment, I'm afraid the brick surface is not ideal for vinyl flooring. Using EasyVJ panels are definitely an alternative, but one other thing I would like to suggest is building a light timber batten frame using 70x35.

This will allow you to put in Earthwool R1.5 75 x 430 x 1160mm 20.9m² Insulation Wall Batt - 42 Pack which will add further insulation to the wall. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jtall
Getting Established

Thank you so much for that great suggestion, Eric.  Sounds like an excellent approach to improving the insulation.

There are also gaps where the brick wall meets adjacent walls, allowing cool air to enter the room (see attached).  Would you have any suggestions for filling those gaps?

Thank you again.

Cheers, JulieInternal Brick Wall_gaps (1).jpgInternal Brick Wall_gaps (2).jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @jtall 

Is that the same wall you are thinking about? Quick fix would be to run a bead of silastic around the edges and fill in the mortar parts of the bricks.

selleys 415g brick and concrete sealant but this one is grey in colour, I couldnt see a white one that mention bricks. If you go the route of the VB board/lino/other products you will be removing that edging bead anyway Id suggest. at that point you could fill the gaps with just enough silastic leaving space for what ever type of new edging you put in.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects