Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY tiled centrepiece

kimamery
Having an Impact

DIY tiled centrepiece

I love to create mosaic tables and here I made a centrepiece using left over tile and scrap timber I had at home. 
I made this while doing a larger project, so I was able to use up the left over tile adhesive and grout too. 

Steps

Step 1

IMG_7812.jpeg

Firstly I found a piece of scrap wood and got everything out that I needed. 

Tiles

Adhesive

Adhesive applicator/scraper

Grout

Tape

Sponge

Bucket of water 

Step 2

I then got to work setting the tile pieces down in a pattern I was happy with. I broke a few pieces up using a hammer to create smaller tiles when needed. 

IMG_7819.jpeg

Step 3

When I was happy with the pattern, I transferred them off the board so that I could apply the adhesive. I taped around the edge of the board to hold any loose adhesive in place. 
Then using the adhesive scraper, I applied the adhesive and scored lines down the centre like this. 

IMG_8113.jpeg

Step 4

IMG_8114.jpeg

Step 5

Then I placed each tile back on the board. This is so satisfying to do!

IMG_8115.jpeg

Step 6

Once all the pieces were in place. I left it to dry for 24 hours. 

IMG_7822.jpeg

Step 7

After the adhesive had set, it was time to grout. 
Once mixed with water, the grout is a thick paste. 
I applied using my gloves hands and pushed into each crevice. 
I then used a damp sponge to smooth it out and remove the excess

IMG_7838.jpeg

Step 8

I then left it to dry overnight. 
the following day I used an orbital sander with fine grit sandpaper to smooth off any rough edges and blend the grout into the timber. 

IMG_8118.jpeg

Step 9

I then waxed the entire piece using white wax. This sealed the grout and tile and makes it easier to clean. 

IMG_8022.jpeg

Step 10

IMG_8101.jpeg

And then I set this in the middle of my dining table. It makes a nice setting for flowers, candles, picture frames, or could be used to serve a bowl of chips and dip!

I love this travertine tile, and love how it ties in with my outdoor area tiles. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY tiled centrepiece

Such a cool and unique project, @kimamery! I was thinking of making something similar the other day, then your guide popped up! What a great centerpiece this would make for a table setting.

Thanks so much for sharing, as I trust it will inspire many of our members to give something like this a go. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: DIY tiled centrepiece

Looks fantastic @kimamery. Thanks so much for sharing.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects