Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Deta Grid Connect PIR network dropouts and resolutions

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Deta Grid Connect PIR network dropouts and resolutions

I have been utilising the Deta Grid Connect PIR sensor for quite a few weeks now and have had an issue 2 times where it disconnects from the network, now I'm sure this happens on other smart devices and is easily resolved without even knowing when say the light switch is turned off but when the PIR is wired in parallel it has constant power to the sensor allowing operation from the sensor or from the switch.

The PIR will operate as a non smart device when no network is present meaning that it still activates lights as per the last settings but no automation or notification will work which in my case the garage door opening won't trigger the lights to come on and it won't send me a notification someone is out the front.

So to fix this is really simple, you just need to go to your electrical switchboard and find your light circuit breakers, turn them off for 5 seconds and then back on. Give it a few minutes and then click on your device and under settings click on network connectivity and do a test. It should connect now.

Screenshot_20220629-123440_Bunnings Product Finder.jpg

Screenshot_20220629-113954_Grid Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20220629-114003_Grid Connect.jpg

  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Deta Grid Connect PIR network dropouts and resolutions

Thanks for sharing @CSParnell, much appreciated. Great having you share your knowledge and experience with the Bunnings Workshop community. 👍

Who would have thought that turning something off and then on again would actually resolve the problem! 😁

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for that handy tip, @CSParnell! I trust any members shaking their heads about why their unit won't re-connect will appreciate your advice.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell 

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

The good old 5 second rule. Haha 😄 

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

To add to this I installed a TP link Deco dual mesh system into the house and it has resolved many issues with Wifi congestion and drop outs.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tp-link-deco-m4-dual-band-mesh-wi-fi-router-2-pack_p0127459?store=8085&g...

iReno
Finding My Feet

It can be tricky as there are no QR Codes to scan so you have to force connect the unit.  Sometimes I change from Android APP connection to iPhone APP connection.  Make sure you use the same account on both devices.  I experienced a drop out from the PIR WiFi with the iPhone13 so I used an old Android Sony to configure the unit.

1. On your phone - disconnect from the local WiFi

2. Power on the PIR and activate the 5 second hold and blinking mode

3. Get your phone on WiFi to connect to the device GRID-#### with no password.  (It will notify you there is no internet connection)

Once connected to GRID-### and it is STABLE connection with No Internet.

Re-connect back to your local WiFi modem and make sure the Internet is connected

4. Use the Grid and start to add a device named "Others" (It will show you are connected to local WiFi network) 

Scan for devices and allow the 3 minutes to lapse

5. Start the second attempt in STEP 4.  It will ask you goto Pairing Mode. 

Once in Pairing mode look for the WiFi named GRID-#### it will add

the decide to your list of devices in GRID CONNECT APP.

Here's the tricky part - GOTO LIST OF WiFi Connections and Forget your Local WiFi Modem. 

Force the connection to the GRID-#### device whilst using the GRID APP

Continue the connection with GRID-####, you will hear your PIR start to CLICK away during the setup process.

GO BACK TO WIFI and reconnect to local WiFi Modem as normal. 

You will find it will add your PIR device onto the GRID APP

Tricky and Frustrating

You may need to do this several times, also power off, reset a few times.  But once connected... all is OK

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @iReno. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your input to the discussion.

It sounds like you are quite familiar with the Grid Connect devices. I'm sure you'll be right at home with all our other enthusiasts. I trust you and @CSParnell will have lots to discuss.

Please reach out anytime you need assistance around the home or garden or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Hey @iReno sounds like you are doing an AP connection kind of sync but not exactly.

If the device is blinking rapidly in pairing mode then hold down reset for another 5 sec and it will blink slow. On your device select AP instead of EZ and then you will need to select GRIDxxxx for Wifi then it will go through and then select your 2.4ghz wifi. 

I have found this way of pairing more stable at times then EZ.

I have posted the link to Grid Connect website on how to do it.

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

@iReno as for drop outs it's a wifi issue the moment I installed a mesh system in my house my PIR never dropped out again.

A lot of my other issues were resolved.

I have started integrating zigbee into my Grid Connect system now for more reliable network.

I will be more than happy to assist where I can

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects