Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Filler for wooden floorboards

Dallas_Mc
Cultivating a Following

Filler for wooden floorboards

Hi Workshop community,

I’ve got a bit of a problem with some wooden floorboards that have had some damage over time from timber borers. The floors are Kauri Pine and have become a bit spongey.

AC32BA9D-37F1-4827-9102-869FEA5E36B8.jpeg

F1DF47F2-A402-408A-BB72-D44AFFF54488.jpeg

In other areas of the house it appears that some filler had been used to fill gaps in knots, but seeing if anyone in the community has some ideas to strengthen the boards with filler or something similar?

E7EADE09-466C-48E4-BC98-96479A04EB98.jpeg

I don’t have access to underneath the house and don’t want to be ripping up the boards at this stage.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Filler for wooden floorboards

Hi @Dallas_Mc,

Many thanks for your question, I'd be happy to start the conversation.

The only product I can think of that might be suitable for this application would be Earl's wood hardener, as applying a filler from the top won't really strengthen the boards at all. From watching the product videos, the Earl's product drys clear and can be sanded afterwards. It will penetrate down into the timber, specifically the borer holes, to bind and fill them. I would advise doing a test section to see if you are happy with the results and also to gauge the compatibility with any topcoats you wish to apply to the floor to seal it.

Let me mention a few of our amazing members who are keen woodworkers @ProjectPete@woodenwookie@r23on and @Brad to see if they might like to join the discussion.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dallas_Mc
Cultivating a Following

Re: Filler for wooden floorboards

Thanks for the reply @MitchellMc .

I'll have to give this a try. I know it's not going to bring it back 100%, but at least take some pressure off ripping apart the hallway atm.

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects