Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Fixing the fireplace flooring

binaryzer0
Getting Established

Fixing the fireplace flooring

Hi Folks,

We have two fire places (which are non-functional) but one of them doesn't have the correct flooring around it. The second one is good and the tiles are fully installed as shown in picture 1.

Can someone please guide me step by step on how and what equipment/materials would be required to finish the second one (picture 2) just like the first one. We are okay to use wooden flooring there as the fireplace is non-functional and closed from the top. Would it be simple as remove the small tiles, installing some padding and putting on wooden flooring ?

to thisto this

from thisfrom this

pstq
Having an Impact

Re: Fixing the fireplace flooring

The tiles look like they'd come off easily, but it seems wrong to put wooden flooring there. What if someone lights it one day?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry about the delay in replying @binaryzer0. Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL. I'm sure Eric will be happy to share how we would go about attacking this project as soon as possible. 

Let me also see if @TedBear and @tom_builds can share their thoughts. 

Thanks for your patience,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @binaryzer0

Thank you for sharing your question about fixing your fireplace flooring.

My apologies for the late reply. I suggest searching for compatible timber to replace the tiles on the floor. I recommend using Selleys Direct Stick 700g Timber Flooring Adhesive Sausage to stick the timber to the floor. Matching the current stain on the floor will be a challenge as the stain and finish has been there for quite some time. This method is involved as it will require sanding and painting.  

Your other option is to use Floor Select 10mm 1.42sqm Spotted Gum Water Resistant Laminate Flooring. This is an easier method of replacing the tiles and no painting is required. I suggest visiting the store and bringing a few samples home to see which one will compliment the colour of your floor.

One other method is to find timber look tiles. These are ceramic tiles that have a faux timber appearance on top. Among the three I suggested this would be the ideal one to use. Installation would just be like tiling your floor. It sounds like a great repair project. Any updates you can provide while repairing the fireplace would be most appreciated.  

Here is a handy step-by step-guide: How to replace a broken floor tile 

Let me tag our experienced members @JDE and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom_builds
Making a Splash

Hi @binaryzer0 ,

Given the non-functionality of the fireplace, if your dead set on trying to replicate the current flooring the sequence of events won't be too difficult, removing all the tiles first and then direct stick the timber boards to the slab (using the glue that @EricL has suggested would be perfect). 

The hard part will be finding matching timber, firstly you'll want to make sure that you have the right size (including depth). Matching the colour and finish will be tough as @EricL also pointed out. I'd suggest buying a selection of small pots of different stains that seem as though they might be a good match and then using a single board, stain it with a patch of each stain.

You'll then be able to use this board as a sort of paint swatch, in order to pick the best match. Matching the clear coat will hopefully be a bit easier, from your photos there seems to be a reasonable amount of reflection so I'd have a guess that they are finished to a gloss or semi-gloss finish

Keep us updated with what you decide to do!

Beet of luck

Thanks a lot folks - I think I have a clear idea what to do now. Will post updates as we go along.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects