Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Floor sanding and staining renovation

Marj2Homer
Growing in Experience

Floor sanding and staining renovation

I decided to tackle the task of sanding my timber floors. They were looking tired and well worn and a bit like me needed some TLC. I found it very therapeutic hand sanding the edges with whatever worked in the beginning. Thanks to my RYOBI One+ belt sander, corner sander and an orbital sander I began with all of the edges and the smallest areas (e.g toilet) where I knew the floor sander I hired from Bunnings wouldn’t fit. Then a full 24hr hire saw me achieve the beauty of raw timber floors. Even though they were beautiful I was chasing a warmer feel so decided to stain them with a walnut stain followed by 2 coats of Estapol. Tough job but such an accomplishment for me! 

3D029E92-2AF6-44C3-8699-A2B2D31CD60B.jpeg

27B28612-FE90-47F6-A6FC-FFB6F6E644AE.jpeg

1BB45608-A726-4409-A2B5-49BB96EC0C3D.jpeg

EE62BC13-465B-4B87-90C7-058A1E208469.jpeg

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Re: Floored by the beauty of my new floors

Hi @Marj2Homer,

Thank you for sharing this with us all and welcome to Workshop.

Wow what a fantastic job and it must feel very rewarding.

The final finish looks great and the cash you've probably saved would have been a good driving force well would have been for me anyways. 

Well done mate.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Floored by the beauty of my new floors

Lovely work, @Marj2Homer! I can see why you are so pleased with the results; your floors look amazing. It certainly makes all the difference when you're using the correct tools for the job, and it sounds like you are well sorted for that.

Do you know what type of timber the floors are?

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects