Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How are you dealing with mould growth in the home?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

How are you dealing with mould growth in the home?

mould.pngMany parts of Australia have experienced some unprecedented and devastating weather events over the last year, and undoubtedly many of our members are dealing with the subsequent mould issues arising from them. Most of us would be pretty well aware that mould thrives off moisture and can only exist in its presence. However, what do we do when moisture is everywhere and traditional methods of mould control, including opening a few windows and giving walls a yearly wipe down with a bleach-based product, don't seem to be cutting it?

I'm keen to hear what tactics we are all employing to combat mould in our homes. How are we preventing it, removing it and, in many cases, trying to stave off a full-blown outbreak? Hopefully, we can share some helpful tips and assist each other with some methods we've found effective.

To kick off the conversation, I'll start with my home. We've always had mould and damp issues, which have been controllable in the past by using a small amount of clove oil mixed with water in a spray bottle and cleaning the walls with it. Up until now, that method has been effective in killing off mould spores. However, the real problems began last summer with the unusually high rainfall in NSW and Queensland. Since then, the house's foundations have been sodden despite having adequate ventilation. The underfloor structure is damp and, in some areas, dripping with water. All walls and ceilings are affected by visual mould.

I am currently cleaning all surfaces with a pre-paint mould killer and then re-coating all walls and ceilings with a semi-gloss paint instead of the traditional low-sheen. My thoughts are that the semi-gloss should be easier to keep clean, and the less porous surface should help prevent mould from taking hold. I've also mixed a mould preventative additive into the paint to inhibit new mould growth. We're being more proactive in ventilating the house, and I've noticed a significant decrease in condensation on the interior of the windows in the mornings.

The immediate mould issues within the home have been somewhat addressed. However, the damp problem continues. I'll now be concentrating my efforts on trying to dry out under the house. I think ducting in fresh air could help dry out the sub-floor, as the copious amounts of static brick vents don't seem to be cutting it. Though, given that the soil is saturated with water, I can't see any amount of fresh air resolving that issue entirely. I don't believe this is necessarily a drainage issue either. It's not pooling water, just damp soil. Apart from the issues under the house, I believe more eave vents and a couple of roof vents wouldn't go astray as they'd help dry out the overall structure.

I'm keen to hear about the issues other members are experiencing, if for no other reason than a bit of moral support. I trust there is a wealth of knowledge and helpful tips out there, and I can't wait to read what methods our community members have found effective.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
glenmore
Having an Impact

Re: How are you dealing with mould growth in the home?

A mixture of bleach and washing up liquid seems to work best for mould on walls.

About a capful of cheap cleaning bleach and a squirt of concentrated washing up liquid in a litre of bottle of water, with a few drops of essential oils to reduce the bleach smell. Use a N95 mask and rubber gloves. Pour the mixture onto a cloth or wet wipes and wipe the wall in one direction, using a fresh cloth for a second and third time after doing the whole wall, like coats of paint on a wall.

Don’t use a spray - spraying means there is aerosolised bleach mixture and mould in the air. Bad for lungs and the mould can spread to other areas in your house. 

This bleach & washing up liquid mixture worked better than vinegar mixtures, or commercial mould removal bathroom sprays. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Mitchell.

Not a lotta mould/mold in the house.

Usually the bathroom ceiling - which I'm gonna try Dulux Wash/Wear Kitchen and Bathroom with "101 Barrier Technology" - later this year when it's warmer and my achilles tendon has healed better.

One other area is in the extreme corners of a ceiling in a room where I have built floor to ceiling bookshelves. It's seen only in winter - I cover the area with another book until I can clean and repaint.

Can you see it?Can you see it?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Interesting to hear your experience, @glenmore. Lately, there's been a lot of talk that bleach-based products don't kill spores but merely whiten the mould disguising it. I'd been using bleach-based products for years, and they appeared to work effectively, but since switching to clove oil and vinegar, it cleans the wall well, and the mould doesn't re-appear for some time, if at all. The main reason for moving away from the bleach was having young children in the house now; it was bad enough when it was just me breathing it in.

Always great to hear others' perspectives. Have you tried clove oil?

Mitchell

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Noyade,

Oddly enough, the only two rooms in the house that are mould free are the water closet and the bathroom. Obviously, the bathroom is ventilated but would see the most moisture in the home from the shower. The only difference with those rooms is that they are painted with semi-gloss, hence why I'm painting the rest of the house in it. Hopefully, it might assist.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects