Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach Hardie Groove lining on a unit?

Ready2go
Cultivating a Following

How to attach Hardie Groove lining on a unit?

I need to install something like Hardie Groove lining as a dado in a unit to reinforce the walls. the walls are already 9mm CFC sheets. What's the best way to stick another sheet on top?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hardie groove Lining

Hi @Ready2go

Thanks for sharing your question about installing Hardie Groove Lining. I've double-checked with James Hardie's technical department and the only recommendation they gave was to make sure that you use longer screws or nails to make sure that it is properly anchored to the stud. 

Here is a link to the installation brochure: Hardie Groove Installation Guide 

When cutting, drilling or nailing into the panel please make sure to wear the proper safety equipment such as goggles, gloves and a dust mask. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the Hardie Groove Lining installed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ready2go
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for checking @EricL 

As the existing walls are already painted 9mm CFC sheets, do you have any suggestions for finding the timber studs?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Ready2go

There are three ways to find the studs in your wall. The first one is the traditional method of using a rare earth magnet. Simply run the earth magnet on your wall to find the steel nails used. Mark the position with a pencil and from there you'll be able to gauge where the other studs will be located. This is on the condition that the cement sheet was fixed with nails.

The next option is to use a mid-range priced stud finder, unfortunately, some of the basic stud finders don't work well with cement sheets. The third option is to use the stud finder on the opposite side of the wall. This is on the condition that the other side of the wall is just ordinary plasterboard. By marking the positions from the inside you'll be able to reflect their positions on the other side of the wall.

Let me call on our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Ready2go @I agree with @EricL  recommendations, I have been recently checking up on various stud finds, the Franklin stud finder has had good reviews, however, I have not tried it myself, I have a Stanley brand  which is usually hit and miss.

JoeAzza_0-1673414729949.png

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Ready2go, given that you will be covering up the existing lining, you can try any of the methods already suggested to get an approximation of where they are likely to be, then drill small holes through the lining until you find each one. The test holes you make will be covered over by the new lining.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects