Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a home bar?

Lee777
Getting Established

How to build a home bar?

Hi Guys,

I’m looking to build a bar in my living area.

I want to install 2 merbau 115mm upright posts, then 2 shelves checked into the posts.

Can I use 115mm laminated merbau posts cut long ways for the shelves? 

Unsure if cutting the posts will cause them to sag or bow. 

Overall length 2.4. 2 posts will be evenly spaced.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a home bar?

Hi @Lee777,

Sorry for the slow reply.

This sounds like a terrific project. Do you have any plans or a sketch you can share at this stage? It might help members to envisage what you have planned and provide more specific and helpful advice. 

I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will also be happy to assist as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Lee777 

Your idea sounds interesting, A couple of questions as always :smile:

How far apart are you thinking of having the posts?

How far are you "notching" the timber into the posts?

Do you have a drawing by any chance? :smile:

I didnt know there was a thing such as a laminated merbau post :surprised: Definently on my interest list now.

Even if you space the posts a distance apart you could negate the "bend/flex by screwing a smaller piece of timber vertically to the back so looking end on it would look like an "L" lying down. I did this on my handrail for my privacy screen and it really made it feel solid with no flex. Courtyard privacy fence and gate build, Part 2 step 4 shows what I mean. That way you could have a parger span with less flex.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Lee777, 

Do you have the dimensions of the bar? If you do, I'll be more than happy to draw a sample image for you.

What colours would you prefer it in? Will you be putting a mini fridge in the bar?

Any extra information about the bar would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects