Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a pull-up bar between concrete pillars?

nicocollu
Getting Established

How to build a pull-up bar between concrete pillars?

Hey!

I wish to build a 3.36m pull-up bar in my high ceiling apartment but am un-sure of how to approach this. I do calisthenics and wish to try to get a bar as close to Kenguru standards as possible: https://kengurupro.eu/equipment/d-02/ <- they have 34mm diameter bars, most likely solid and a certain coating. I have contacted them to get more details on the coating.

Still, this is quite a long pull-up bar and needs to take quite a lot of weight, preferably 200kg+ if possible. I have seen quite simple constructions at this length although I am not sure how to pull it off, especially with this custom length.

I am not from NZ so I do not have access to many tools etc.. I have enough to get holes into the concrete to fasten whatever system it'll be but that's about it.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
 Pull-up-Bar.jpg

nicocollu
Getting Established

Re: Wish to build a 3.36m pull-up bar between 2 concrete pillars (see photo)

Oh, might I add, Kenguru Pro specifically said that their 'freestyle' bars longer than 1800mm are full steel rods. If this provides more flexibility, this might be preferable in their case as freestyle calisthenics requires a lot of movement and the flexibility of the bar actually helps generate movement of the athlete. This might be why this is true in their case rather than a physics reason of whether it's correct or not in terms of flexibility. It depends on the bars purpose, of course.

I have contacted Kenguru regarding the pipe/rod discussion to hear their thoughts. Un-sure if they will elaborate on this but I will respond here if they do.

nicocollu
Getting Established

For anyone else reading, here are details of pipes/rods it seems: https://www.austubemills.com.au/getattachment/0e64af4a-852a-41f2-bfa3-57abb28af9e7/atm-dct-sshs-aug1...

Still, I am not intelligent enough to decode this long document so I have emailed them directly and will respond with this as well if I get a relevant response.

nicocollu
Getting Established

Response from Kenguru directly regarding this matter:

"Not less than 3,2mm (inner pipe wall)

Regarding the steel rods- for bars longer than 1,8m it works better than the pipe."

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects