Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build this wooden sign holder?

Dxo
Just Starting Out

How to build this wooden sign holder?

EC97C344-41AA-48E4-9A53-9AB1C12F7C8C.jpeg

06A03040-BC46-44C9-89F1-50FF8B4A15D3.jpeg

  

looking for advice on what would be the best solution to recreate this sign holder with a slit in the middle? 

Suggestions for tools to use too.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build this wooden sign holder?

Hi @Dxo,

Great to see you make your first post on Bunnings Workshop. Let me extend a warm welcome.

Apologies for the slow reply - it's been very busy on the site in recent weeks with so many people in lockdown and tackling new projects. 

I'm sure @EricL will be happy to assist with this one as soon as possible. We have many keen woodworkers on the community so I'll tag some of them who might also like to suggest how they would create their own sign holder: @woodenwookie@r23on@LePallet@woodalwaysworks and @Brad.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Dxo

My apologies for the late reply. This is a very interesting sign that you're planning to build. I suggest using 138 x 18mm 2.7m Primed Finger Jointed Dressed All Round Pine for the main base of the sign. I recommend using the 1200 x 596 x 9mm Premium Grade Radiata Plywood as the signboard.

You will need the following tools:

I've placed a basic plan below for you to look at. Depending on the size you wish to make the sign, the rectangular base is the first to be assembled. Once you've assembled the rectangle base find the center of the base lengthwise and mark a 10mm space in the middle. This is the spot where the sign panel will be going into. Cut two more panels to go on the inside of the rectangle lengthwise, making sure to leave the 10mm gap. Screw them in place and test that the signboard fits in place. Once the signboard is in place, cut two more panels to cover the top of the rectangle base at the front and back. Screw into place and the sign is finished. 

To make the cutting guide for the top of the signboard. Find the center of the panel lengthwise and draw a line. From the top of the panel measure 300mm down and mark it with an x. Put a pin where you have marked it with an x. Get a string and secure it to the pin, place a pencil at the other end of the string at roughly 300mm. Keep your thumb on the pin and trace the arc on the panel. 

I suggest using Zenith 8G x 30mm Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws - 35 Pack to screw the panels together. I recommend using Taubmans 500ml White Sample Pot tinted to your preferred colour. Please keep us updated, we would love to see the sign once it's assembled. Please remember that the sizes indicated are for reference only, please adjust them to your needs.

Let me tag our experienced member @JoeAzza for his recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

1. to do this accurately a saw table is the best solution 

2. a routing table 

either will provide you with the best result.

a circular saw or hand held router can be used with varying results for newbies. 

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Dxo

Looks like a big sign,  @EricL suggestion is excellent, if the sign is to be indooors, you could make the base using 12mm thick mdf board, then cut to the size required making it into a rectangular box as shown in your photo, for the slot you can two strips of mdf board and attach to the top of the box leaving a gap for the sign to fit in. no need for a router to cut the slot, if stability is an issue you could fill the base with sand prior to fitting the bottom of the box.

woodalwaysworks
Making a Splash

How many do you want to make @Dxo . Is it a one off or are you thinking of making a few for a special occasion. Using the right tools could save you a lot of time and money 

I think this is the best way to make it as well. As @JoeAzza says, you can fill the sides with sand and that thing is not going to fall down anytime too soon.

In fact I've seen a few of these commercially built and they're very similar.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects