Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to drill small countersunk hole with dremel?

ronmcm
Finding My Feet

How to drill small countersunk hole with dremel?

I have a 8220 dremel with drill stand. I need to drill countersunk holes to house very small brass screws in wood. What is the best dremel accessory for this please.

... r

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to drill small countersunk hole with dremel?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ronmcm and thanks for reaching out with your question.

It would be helpful to learn a bit more about your project so that members can offer the right suggestions. Could you let us know what you're building and what type of timber and screws you're using?

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to help when he's back on the site on Friday. Let me also tag @Brad, @JoeAzza and @tom_builds who may be able to help.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I think this will be close to what you need, outside of a kit.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/dremel-high-speed-cutter-6-4mm-125-2-pack_p6280050 

tom_builds
Making a Splash

Welcome @ronmcm  and thanks for the tag @StevieB 

Unfortunately a rotary tool is not a tool that I have in my collection,  so I can't really comment from experience on counter sinking with one. I have done a bit of research and it seems that you can achieve a countersink effect by using a dremel drill bit and then using a conical shaped router bit.

Personally I would use a drill with a regular countersink bit to do the job, however if the screws you are looking to use are tiny it might not be feasible. In that case I would probably use a slightly larger drill bit to drill a space so the countersunk screw will sit flush with the wood.

Let us know more about the project and we'll try to provide more specific assistance.

Good luck,

tom_builds

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @ronmcm.

Thank you for tagging me, @StevieB

I'm not sure what the collet size is for a Dremel tool, you could try this small countersink bit, to see if it fits your Dremel, I agree with @tom_builds

suggestion also, you might need to use an electric hand drill to do the countersink after you drill the item.

JoeAzza_0-1626250902615.png

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I think the shaft size on the P&N is too large, 3.15 is the standard for Dremel and you can get chucks that take up to 4mm.

I have the 12v Bosch look alike and the 18v 6mm die grinder in what was supposed to pass for a cheap milling machine even though Bosch say not to fix it into anything, it may also fit my CNC when it gets here.

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank you @Brad

Hi  @ronmcm 

A centre drill might do the job, this one is 3.15mm shaft diameter, however the countersink is 60 deg not 45 deg, hope it helps. Not sure if Bunnings sell these, they are available online from other suppliers, just look up Centre drills with 3.15mm shaft size.

JoeAzza_0-1626250103739.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ronmcm

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Brad, @tom_builds, and @JoeAzza.

Their suggestions are actually all going to work, however, you will have to get a compatible collet nut kit from Dremel. The kit number is Dremel Collet Nut Kit 4485 and has to be specially ordered at the store. If you need assistance ordering this item, please tell me the closest store in your area and I will give you a hand.

Removal and fitting of the kit is not complex and no special tool is needed for the exchange. If you are doing a D.I.Y. project we would love to see what you're currently working on. 

If you need more information or advice, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects