Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to glue timber boards to brick wall?

Haze
Growing in Experience

How to glue timber boards to brick wall?

Hi there,

I have an ugly (internal) brick wall that I'd like to pretty up by covering it in timber boarding - I'm thinking VJ panels or going strip-by-strip with shiplap or similar notched boards, etc.

Most online recommendations I've come across so far talk about mounting battens/furrings first, but I'd prefer to avoid this - on account of the undesirable increase in thickness out from the wall that results.  Thus, I'm hoping there is an effective way to glue the timber boards straight onto the brick wall?  That brings up two questions - what adhesive to use, and what preparation (in terms of cleaning, priming, sealing, etc.) is required on the brick walls first?

[I've successfully glued plasterboard sheets onto brick walls in the past, and I know I could do that again here, but I'd like to do something a bit more textural/interesting this time...]

All suggestions appreciated!

Haze
Growing in Experience

Re: How to glue timber boards to brick wall?

Thanks @JoeAzza , I have considered it, but would still prefer to avoid the extra thickness.

I attached a photo to my original post, the issue is the door frames on each side and the existing cornice.   If I add no more than about 13mm total thickness with whatever I do, then the boards will tuck in behind the edges of the door-frames and also in behind the existing cornice; and it'll all be super neat.

[I may well just end up doing plasterboard instead of the timber panels/boards idea - at least I know that works, and it'll be the right thickness...!]

Haze
Growing in Experience

Re: How to glue timber boards to brick wall?

20230624_160624[1].jpg

Haze
Growing in Experience

Re: Glueing timber boards to brick wall

Thanks @Marshall this is awesome - somebody who's actually done what I'm trying to do!  Thanks so much for sharing this - and good to hear it's holding up well.

I attached a photo to my original post - it looks pretty similar to yours.

Did you do anything in particular to prep or seal the brick first?

Haze
Growing in Experience

All good @MitchellMc  - thanks for clarifying!

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Haze @I think the credit gorse to @Marshall , the one that has previously installed the panels direct to brickwork, good luck with your project.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Awesome feedback @Marshall, just what @Haze was after. I appreciate you providing a great example of using construction adhesive.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Marshall
Cultivating a Following

@Haze 

No nothing was really needed in terms of surface prep for my brick wall other then a basic clean off - but my bricks while old and dated where actually in decent condition in terms of the surface etc. Only thing I really had to account for was a little bit of unevenness in small number of spots. 

Like I said I was generous with the construction adhesive applying in a zigzag pattern to  the back of the boards and dot and dab method filling a couple of spots where more was needed. They held really well with the liquid nails though. 

Hard to tell from your pics as to the condition of your bricks. I would say if you are worried about surface adhesion then you could and add masonry screws to give additional hold and putty and paint over.

Haze
Growing in Experience

Hi @Marshall - was just re-reading your helpful post as I'm finally about to embark on glueing up my timber boards to the brick wall.  Was just wondering - did you do anything particular to prep/prime the brick walls first?

Cheers!

Marshall
Cultivating a Following

Hey @Haze  - no nothing beyond giving them a good clean. Like I said I used some temporary screws fixed into the wall immediately after gluing to hold in place for the couple of days after to make sure they were able to set properly. Also was liberal with the Glue. Beyond that though no special priming or surface prep.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects