Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make picture frames?

shelleyhurst
Finding My Feet

How to make picture frames?

I am a true beginner living near Ipswich QLD and would like to learn how to make picture frames

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: I am a true beginner

Hello @shelleyhurst,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining us and expressing your desire to build a picture frame. 

Building a custom-sized picture frame is a popular project for D.I.Y. enthusiasts. Building your frame will require some basic tools such as a mitre boxdrillhand saw, and a combination square. If this is the start of your tool collection, I suggest thinking about what projects you might use them on. You might want to upgrade and get more robust tools for your future projects.

My only other advice is to consider what size you want your frame to be and what timber you want to use. I suggest this step-by-step guide: How to make a D.I.Y. picture frame. The tools and parts mentioned are all available at your closest store.

Let me tag some of our creative members @prettyliving and @diy_hausdesigns and see if they have any handy advice before you begin.

If you need more information please let us know. We look forward to seeing your picture frame creations here at workshop.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Having made a frame for the shop, don't try corrugated nails for the corner joins if your frame is made from hardwood.

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Hi @shelleyhurst 

I’m no expert but I did just recently make a frame. It was only a small one and I used picture frame moulding from Bunnings. 
I used a mitre saw to cut the moulding and just wood glue to glue it together. I didn’t use nails as the frame was only small.

What type & size frames were you thinking of making?

My father in law actually makes them for a living, I’ve been meaning to get him to show  me how he does it and what tools he uses. 
Next time I see him I’ll ask him 👍🏻

@EricL,

Thank you so much for your advice, much appreciated.

Regards 

Shelley 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects