Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to refurbish furniture?

priya2
Finding My Feet

How to refurbish furniture?

Hello beautiful people, 

I have seen some amazing furniture transformations here .I was hoping if anyone would be kind enough to give me some basic classes on refurbishing furniture. 

I am a mum of a 5 month old baby who is currently on maternity break looking to take up some new hobby. I love painting and crafts but have zero knowledge on handling tools and wood work. I was hoping to start off with refurbishing furniture .

Thank you

Priya 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to refurbish furniture?

Hello @priya2

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about upcycling.

It's great to hear that you've been inspired by the many furniture makeovers our members have made. One of the best places to start is to have a look at this guide-How to upcycle a bedside cabinet by @MitchellMc. This guide will give you the basic knowledge that you need to get started in furniture makeovers. It's also handy to look at what others have made to give you ideas on how to give your furniture piece a fresh new look.

Before you begin your project, I suggest choosing an area where you can sand your furniture. Sawdust creates a lot of mess, I recommend using drop sheets to cover the items you don't want getting covered in sawdust. It's also important to consider your painting and drying area, leaving your furniture outside when it is freshly painted will get it covered in dust and debris. I suggest an enclosed space where wind and rain can't get to it.

When you start choosing your first project, it's tempting to get something big straight away, however, I recommend getting something small like a bedside or coffee table. This will give you the opportunity to try out an electrical sander if you decide to get one, how different kinds of sandpaper work and how paint behaves on raw timber. 

Here is a handy link for ideas and inspiration:  Top 10 most popular indoor furniture projects

Let me call on our experienced members @prettyliving @redbournreno and @LorenaDIYS for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your first furniture makeover.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric, 

Thanks heaps for all the handy tips and for your time.

Definitely learnt a few things already. 

Will surely update my progress. 

Regards

Priya

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @priya2,

It's great you've already seen some inspiring furniture upcycling projects shared by members. Not sure if you are aware, but you can browse the community by label, so a great way to browse them all is by checking out all the Recycling and Upcycling posts on the community.   

I also recommend How to restore a wooden armchair by @Nham, How to lime wash timber furniture by @prettyliving  and How to distress painted furniture by @Peggers. And some more ideas here - 3 ways to upcycle a dining table.   

Please let us know when you've chosen the piece of furniture you want to start with. We'd be happy to guide you along the way.

Jason

Hi Jason, 

Thanks for your guidance. Will definitely have a look at the recommendations. 

Regards

Priya

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @priya2

Should you run into anything confusing or strange while in the process of renovating your furniture piece. Please don't hesitate to post a question, our members would be more than happy to provide advice and information.

Eric

Sure Eric shall do 🙂

HI @priya2 

There are so many amazingly creative ways that you could transform old furniture.  I have not done much of that myself so I can't provide too much experience.

I would suggest you think about how it is to be used to ensure you seal it with the correct product (e.g. regular exposure to water or not may need a marine lacquer).  Also if you are doing other projects, offcuts of benchtops, spare decorative tiles, and stone offcuts can be a great way to provide individuality.

I'll look forward to seeing your results!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects