Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove grout haze?

Mitch16
Finding My Feet

How to remove grout haze?

3D5C2833-DE91-4BA9-A5C9-51E2CE7A7008.jpeg

When our front verandah was tiled a few years ago there has been some grout hazing ever since & it’s difficult to remove. Can someone please recommend a suitable product to clean this up without damage to the tiles & the existing grout? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Removing grout haze

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mitch16. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question.

Have you ever removed any of the hazing, and do you know if your tiles are sealed with anything? Removing efflorescence normally requires some type of acid, and that could negatively affect your tiles sealer. There are products available for this purpose, like Crommelin 4L Efflorescence Remover. Still, you might like to start with something a little less aggressive such as a dilute solution of white vinegar and water. Apply the mixture and use a toothbrush to agitate the hazing. If the hazing is on top of the sealer and tile, it should be quite easy to remove. However, I would hazard a guess that it is likely within the surface of the tile. If this is the case, you might need to do a thorough cleaning with the efflorescence remover and re-seal your tiles.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell...much appreciated. I have no idea if the tiles have been sealed but I’ll try & find the original supplier & check with them.

I’ll try the diluted white vinegar solution as you advised however can you please let me know the mix volume of the solution? 
with thanks

Mitch 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Mitch16,

I'd suggest using a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. Please make sure to flush the area down with fresh water after your attempt.

Mitchell

Thanks so much Mitchell! 

EB588ED4-9D91-4867-B1D3-56FC2CE144B9.jpeg

 I have done my grout from davco easy grout they have colour inside at grout. After I’m done my tiles they become like colour they not coming off what can I do? 
thank you

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tony6. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for reaching out with your question.

What have you attempted so far? Have you tried any of the suggestions that @MitchellMc posted earlier in this discussion? It would be great to learn more about this so members can offer suggestions for the next step.

Stevie

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @tony6,

Let me also extend a warm welcome to the community.

In addition to Mitch's advice above, check out the reply from @EricL in this recent discussion - Help with discoloured outdoor tiles 

Please let us know how you go with following the suggestions provided and let us know if you need more assistance. We're here to help.

Jason

Walzz
Building a Reputation

@tony6  It looks like you forgot to use a damp sponge before the grout dried. Once it dries it's VERY difficult to remove! 
Normally when grouting tiles you work the grout into the tile joints, let the grout partially dry, then use a damp sponge to level the grout and remove the excess. When it is dry the light haze covering the tiles can be polished off with a DRY cloth.

Solution 1
The easy solution first - Try some abrasion with steel wool soap pads.
Moisten the tile surface with a wet sponge then rub with a soap pad to loosen the grout.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/morgan-steel-wool-soap-pads-12-pack_p4460951 

Solution 2
You could also try a 10% acid wash which is a weak mix of hydrochloric acid and water. (ALWAYS add acid to water, never water to acid)
Try it on a small section of grout first to see if it works.  Leave it on for 5-6 minutes to react with the grout. (Use an old toothbrush)

Shopping List, if you don't already have these items
2x 9L Plastic buckets (2 different colours recommended)
https://www.bunnings.com.au/9-3l-assorted-multipurpose-plastic-buckets-with-spout_p4461010 

1x 1L Hydrochloric acid https://www.bunnings.com.au/bondall-1l-hydrochloric-acid_p0960232 

1x Pair safety glasses https://www.bunnings.com.au/protector-clear-ultralite-wraparound-safety-glasses_p5814707 
1x Rubber Gloves https://www.bunnings.com.au/sabco-large-tear-resist-gloves-1-pair_p0065931 

1x Brick cleaning brush https://www.bunnings.com.au/mr-clean-tuffmates-brick-and-concrete-brush_p4460045 

2x Boxes of Baking Soda from the supermarket. ($1.20 for 500g box in IGA)

Fill both buckets with 5L of water. (Litre markings on inside of bucket)

Put on the safety glasses and rubber gloves.  ** Acid can be dangerous if not handled properly! **
Carefully add half a bottle of acid (500ml) to the first bucket of water. (Makes 5.5L of 10% strength acid wash)
Use the brush to apply plenty of acid wash to the grout you want removed. Leave it for 5-6 minutes then use the brush to shift any remaining grout. 
Clean sections of say 10 tiles at a time starting at the far wall, working backwards toward the entrance.

Cleanup
Add 500g box of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to the 2nd bucket and stir until dissolved. 
Mop this solution over the treated area when finished to neutralise the acid then hose down the verandah.
Any leftover acid wash must be neutralised with baking soda solution before disposal.

tony6
Finding My Feet

Thanks so much for your advice…this was done by a professional tiler nit me I might add! It’s too long now to revert back to him so I’ll give your suggestion a go. 

Thanks again! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects