Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair rotten timber post on deck?

john12345
Growing in Experience

How to repair rotten timber post on deck?

Hi, I’ve uncovered a rotted section on timber post on my deck. I’ve scraped back the section - see pics.

My first thought was to make good again with builders bog. But that’s a big area to fill in and might be hard to make the builders bog blend in with timber around it. 

Would I be better to cut out the rotted section and insert a new piece of timber? 

Any suggestions would be welcome! 

IMG_1170.jpeg

IMG_1175.jpeg

IMG_1171.jpeg

iveg
Building a Reputation

Re: help with rotted post!

Hi John,

Looks like a case of wood rot. Builders bog would only be a band aid fix, you could use nails inserted into timber to support the builders bog, but eventually it will still deteriorate. Yes best option replace the entire timber with treated pine. May be more work but you won't regret doing it. All the best my friend.

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to repair rotten timber post on deck?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @john12345. We're delighted to have you join us and trust you'll find the site a handy resource for all your D.I.Y. projects.

Thanks for your question on repairing your deck post. It's been an unusually busy time on the site but I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to assist as soon as he can.

Let me also mention our ever-helpful members @JoeAzza@Jewelleryrescue@DIY4Knuckleheds and @maknilsin to see if they have any thoughts. 

While waiting, you may also want to read these previous similar discussions in case they help: 

And if you were also planning on restoring your entire deck at some point, we also have this popular step-by-step guide by experienced renovator @Adam_W that might come in handy: How to renovate a timber deck.

Hope this helps.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @john12345  I wish I could  say this  was a fill situation but that timber way past its saftey margin.

@iveg  Is  right that post is due for complete failure.  That post  out of the  photo can be also structual possibly holding up verandah  roof (so do support the roof to stop it sagging  when you replace post.)  In any case that post is supporting a stair railing and must be structually sound to protect people in case they stagger and need support from hand rails etc, they cant be grabbing half  rotted timbers.

The strongest way  it to replace the whole  post for you  peace of mind and  pre paint the new post after you cut it to size to stop premature wood rot into the future.

Replacing the post can be done just make sure the roof and all  key connecting bit supported in place prior to post gentle removal like  floor  joists etc as when  they sag it is hard to reposition them and might stress the surounding structure.

Feel free to ask more questions :smile:

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @john12345 , I agree with @Jewelleryrescue  and @iveg, maybe too far gone for repairs

i have done similar repair to two posts a few years ago, using treated pine decking for repairs, I have attached photos for you to see, however , it looks like one of  posts may be starting to deteriorate again, I think I will have to revisit the problem.

IMG_2144.jpeg

IMG_2145.jpeg

IMG_2146.jpeg

IMG_2147.jpeg

IMG_2148.jpeg

Hi @JoeAzza   There  are  no rules  that say you cant transition to aluminum  or steel as an option for longer life less maintenance

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @john12345 

Ouch 😕 Yeah time to replace the post I think. Im pretty much following everyone here :smile: The general rule of thumb I apply to timber rot is anything over 1/5th of whatever it is and it gets bumped up the list of "needs to be replaced" With your post being the attachment point of two handrails and the post to the roof it needs to be structal and not just a repair section.

As @Jewelleryrescue mentions you will need to support the roof while you replace the post. Not hard and may seem a bit of pain but way better then  the roofline sagginga nd "crunch" downwards on you. :smile:

Has the rot spread into the handrails at the attachment point?

Dave

john12345
Growing in Experience

Good point about the handrails, I’ll check what they look like. Hopefully they are still ok

john12345
Growing in Experience

Thanks all for your thoughts on this one. Looks like the group agrees replacing the post makes most sense! Cheers all @iveg @Jewelleryrescue @JoeAzza @Dave-1 

It's great to see you've received solid advice from the team @john12345!

Just to jump on the bandwagon, I wanted to re-iterate the concern if this is a structural post holding up a verandah roof. Not only does it need to be replaced, but you need to get props in there immediately to support the roof. If this post does support the roof, I would strongly suggest you enlist the services of a professional and keep everyone clear of the area until the props are installed to support the roof.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects