Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Kids play table build

Mick0s
Having an Impact

Kids play table build

IMG_20160902_113738.jpg

We've been looking for a play table for the ankle biters for a little while and had found some relatively small / cheap ones around online that we weren't too fond of, but after some research, found some plans using a certain Swedish brand shelving so create a play table.

This is where my DIY quest begins.

Not one to shy away from a woodwork challenge, it occurred to me that for roughly the same cost (and some extra tools as a bonus*) I could knock up something using some decent plywood and a bit of elbow grease.  And still have some ply left over to build a matching shelf unit.

All in all, I'm pretty rapt with the result, though my edge banding job was fairly dodgy, but the kids love it, which is really all that matters.

And if I ever think of doing something of this magnitude again, I'm using it as an excuse for a table saw.  While the circ saw and a straight edge worked really well, aligning the thing perfectly for repetitive cuts got old very quickly.

* new tools include a Kreg pocket hole jig, and a new orbital sander.

And now, the pictures...

All wood cut to size

All the plywood cut to size

IMG_20160806_211546 (Medium).jpg

First coats of wipe-on poly

IMG_20160811_214657 (Medium).jpg

Initial assembly - loving pocket hole joinery!

IMG_20160820_214554 (Medium).jpg

Clear coat finished, starting on the table top

IMG_20160824_211452 (Medium).jpg

Dodgy edge banding

IMG_20160828_172401 (Medium).jpg

Dry fitting the bezel

IMG_20160902_113738 (Medium).jpg

Done and (ready to be chalk) dusted!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Kids Play Table Build

Great project @Mick0s. Many thanks for sharing. I love that you've incorporated the storage tubs. You can never get enough storage with kids around.

I'm sure this will inspire other community members. Nice work. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kellie
Making a Splash

Well done.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Super project @Mick0s, no wonder the ankle biters are happy, you've made them an amazing, sturdy & functional piece that will last, & so will the memories.

If you become a Grandparent, I can see you having to knock up a few more so that they won't fight over this one. :wink:

By the way, you're unnecessarily harsh on yourself by saying that your edge banding is dodgy. I'm with the kids, I thinks it's perfect.

I also love that you used C chanel aluminium extrusion as tracks for the slide out bins, I've used them for other purposes, but I'll definitely take on what you've done in future projects.

Big thumbs up from me. :bigsmile:

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Great idea to put a chalkboard paint top on it. Well done @Mick0s.

Love it @Mick0s - how good are Kreg Pocket Hole Jigs!?!
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Absolutely loving the pocket holes.

Makes builds so much quicker!

I pulled together a quick pine face frame (now covered in fabric to hide away the xbox and TiVo) in only about an hour or so the other night, and its dead flat, and the butt-joins are aligned almost flawlessly!

ninja_cover.jpg

So the next pocket hole project is probably a long overdue dart board cabinet, but I think I need to bang together an actual workbench for the garage first. Sawhorses and offcuts for the table top are a bit annoying.. :laugh:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Mick0s,

Hope all is well.

Have you built your workbench for the garage as yet?

Jason

Mick0s
Having an Impact

@Jason

Haha, nope.  Life seems to have (once again) kicked that one to the kerb.

Any free space I had in the garage is now gone thanks to a new (to me, anyway) camper trailer, and I've been busy on getting a chicken run together before the three chicks that currently inhabit my bathroom are too big to be kept inside any longer!

I've got progress photos, so there wil be a chicken house build thread in the coming weeks. :smile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good luck with the build @Mick0s

@darylhewston has set the bar pretty high in the Workshop community with his automatic chicken coop door opener!

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects