Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Love this plywood ceiling

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

Love this plywood ceiling

PlyCeiling.png
PaulineBooker
Just Starting Out

Re: Love this plywood ceiling

Can someone tell me what the plywood panels are fixed to and how.   Screwed into wooden frame?  Do the panels butt up to each other creating the black line?  Or has something been  used to created the linear effect?  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @PaulineBooker

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your question about the plywood ceiling.

The black lines or gaps you are seeing on the ceiling are actually the frame of the roof that has been painted black. The plywood panels are then cut and screwed in place with the painted timber visible. Several Plywood Sheets are suitable for such a project, it depends on how big the ceiling is.

There are a few types of Plywood, some have very noticeable knots and swirls, others are very plain and have no lines or knots in them. I suggest a thickness not less than 12mm to prevent bowing or warping. However, I recommend consulting with your builder to make sure that the one you choose is suitable. If you are planning any projects in the house, please keep us updated.

Let me tag our experienced member @JoeAzza for his recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.  

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jenc12
Just Starting Out

HI there - just love this plywood ceiling. Has the plywood be stained/treated? or is it raw?

@JoeAzza 

Thanks! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop @jenc12. It's fantastic to have you join the community and join in the discussion.

Let me tag @RenoQueen who shared the original image, although it has been some time ago. Let me also see if our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts could share their opinion on how the plywood would have been finished. 

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand with a project or have something to share with other members. We are looking forward to reading all about your own projects and plans. Are you contemplating a renovation?

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jenc12,

I suspect this might have been an inspiration pic. You'll find several visually similar images on Google

It doesn't appear that the plywood has had any stain applied. I'd imagine it has a clear matt finish sealing coat as there is no noticeable sheen to the finish. Something like Bondall Matt Monocel Clear Varnish would give you a similar look.

Are you considering a similar lining to a ceiling? We'd love it if you could share more of your plans with us.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Mitchell

Ari
Having an Impact

Ooh I love this too, and I've just starting thinking about replacing the plain gyprock that my patio ceiling has. Thanks for posting!  Ari

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects