Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New double storey build

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

New double storey build

ProjectPetePlans.png

For those that are interested I'm going to post updates of my double storey build to this thread. I've already started other threads about specific things (and will continue to do that) however this one is purely for regular updates. You can also follow our progress on Instagram @building.up.254 and @ProjectPete.diy.

Would be great to hear what people think along the way and I'm happy to answer any questions you have. This is my second build and I'm also project managing a mate's build - so I'm no expert but I've learned a few things along the way that I'm happy to share :smile:

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Re: Double storey build - progress updates

Great work @ProjectPete. You'll never get anything if you don't ask. I'm sure the negotiations will be worth it and get a home that you truly love. 

Absolutely @RenoQueen - I worry about how many people get misled and ripped off through the process though because they're inexperienced and/or not confident/forward enough to say something.

----------
Handy and helpful

How's the build going @ProjectPete

Hope all is well.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the reminder @Jason - been flat out between getting things done for the new build, upgrading things on the current home, working, changing jobs, building up my business, cheekey getaways, etc etc

BUT

The build is coming along nicely :smile:

All brickwork is now complete and roof carpenters are booked for next week so it won't be long til it's got its shape.

No real issues along the way. We weren't happy with the inconsistent spacing of the mortar on one fo the pillars of our alfresco so we got them to rebuild that. Have noticed some dents and scratches on doorways which will all be fixed shortly. So overall, we're very happy with the past few weeks/stages.

----------
Handy and helpful

Many thanks for the progress report @ProjectPete. Glad to hear the project is going well. Looking forward to seeing some photos when you get a chance! It sounds like things have been very, very busy for you. It also sounds like your builder is good to deal with and happy to address anything that doesn't meet your expectations. Good stuff!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I'll get some decent pic this wknd @Jason and share them. I've got random shots but they probably won't make much sense to everyone else :cheeky:

Our builder is pretty good. To be honest, it comes down to how I've dealt wiht them. They initially tried to avoid doing/changing/fixing things but because I've stood my ground and remaine din control, they've learned to not waste anyone's time and just do the right thing. This goes back to advice I gave in original posts about building. Don't let builers push you around, because they will if they can!

----------
Handy and helpful

The last couple of months haven't been too overly exciting. We've had quite a few delays due to weather (and poor project management IMO) but we're now close to top floor lockup :smile:

20180823_170444.jpg

Balcony view - the sun rises over those hills so you can imagine the brekky/morning coffee views :smile: We can also watch planes coming in for landing at Perth Airport. 

20181010_173337.jpg

To achieve high enery rating and noise attentuation requirements we have insulation in our wall cavities as well as upgraded insulation in our roof space and under roof insulation. Looking forward to a more comfortable and energy efficient home, that's for sure.

20180831_174258.jpg

Another thing I'm super excited for on our new home is our solar system and battery. The panels got installed about 2 weeks ago and boy did we get a temporary shock there...my wife just happened to be driving past on the day of installaton and saw them attaching the panels to the front of our house. Yuck! So I was on the phone straight away, got them to stop work and got things sorted. The front of house would provide greatest yield for that half of the system, but aesthetically we don't want them on the front. So we accepted a decreased yield by placing them on the right side of the house instead. We needed to have some Colorbond panels replaced where they started to mount them.

20180906_165915.jpg 20180906_170013.jpg

Plaster is now finished on top floor. More excited to see ground floor completion as we've gone with square set ceiling down there, ie. No cornices :smile:

4.5 x 4.1m Retreat with fireplace. Opens onto Balcony.4.5 x 4.1m Retreat with fireplace. Opens onto Balcony. Entry to Ensuite.Entry to Ensuite.Ensuite with double vanity and 1800mm freestanding bath under window.Ensuite with double vanity and 1800mm freestanding bath under window. Ensuite shower.Ensuite shower.

The windows are due to be installed and cleaned this week along with top floor level brick cleaning and render to be painted. Then the scaffolding will come done and ground floor work will commence. Getting exciting now!

----------
Handy and helpful

I might be a bit weird but I actually like the look of solar panels. But I guess a roof totally made out of solar is even better - https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/solarroof

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

I'd be fine with an aesthetically pleasing solar roof like the Tesla examples @AHoy but 11 black panels on the front of a white colorbond roofed house is not so nice. 

----------
Handy and helpful

Had another site meeting on Friday and from all reports, things are coming along more smoothly and quickly than previously. We've been given a handover date of "end Jan". I think this is pretty ambitious especially given the Xmas/NY break but our new site supervisor is pretty confident.

- We're due to go to lock-up 5/12 and things should come along nicely from there. Although it'll suck not being able to go through the house whenever we want.
- I've got some prep work being done today for our polished concrete floors downstairs.
- Managed to negotiate with site supervisor and he's going to let us commence our pool install prior to handover (which has been declined a few times previously).
- At our meeting with our tiler in a week or so we'll sort out the tile positioning/layout, ensure the finishing levels are right for polished concrete downstairs (Laundry/Powder Room) and floorboards upstairs (Ensuite, Guest bath, Toilet).
----------
Handy and helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects