Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Product for hanging pictures

NumeroUno
Cultivating a Following

Product for hanging pictures

Hi

Although this question has been asked before, i struggled to find the specific product to use

We are looking to install some small and some large picture frames in our home. Not sure whether drilling is best or nailing a hook 

Please can you suggest or link to the specific product I need to use e.g. a hook, drill bit or stud finder. Note the house is brick. 

pstq
Having an Impact

Re: Product for hanging pictures

Are your internal walls brick too? If they are, you can drill holes and put in a plug so you can screw or nail a hook to it. If they're plasterboard on a timber studs, you can just nail in some hooks. For all but the heaviest pictures, you don't need to nail into the studs.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @NumeroUno,

Great to see you receive a prompt and helpful reply from @pstq.

You might also find @Tara86's guide useful - How to hang a picture. Tara includes instructions for using adhesive strips, hooks, and wire or string.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
NumeroUno
Cultivating a Following

Thanks pstq. Internal are bricks too. 

You won't need a stud finder then. Do the bricks have plaster over them, or are they bare? If they're plastered, it might be smooth enough for adhesive methods like in the link above, but I've never tried those.

When I lived in a brick house, I used to drill a hole and hammer in a wooden dowel, then put a screw in the dowel, then just hang the picture on the screw head. You'd need a hammer drill and masonry bit.

Have you considered putting in picture rails?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @NumeroUno

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jason and @pstq. If you are mounting directly onto brick and planning on drilling, I suggest using an Ozito PXC 18V Drill Driver Kit. You will also need Craftright 15 Piece Masonry Drill Bit Set. I recommend using the Everhang 15kg Solid Picture Hanging Wall Hook - 3 Pack. This will let you hang your picture frames with ease.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to install masonry fixings

Here is a link to give you ideas and inspiration: The best way to hang pictures on a wall

Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your picture frames hanging on your wall.

Eric

NumeroUno
Cultivating a Following

Yes, the bricks have plaster over them. I rather try drilling as only need one picture on each wall for now. 

NumeroUno
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric,

I popped into Bunnings Balcatta and seems the Everhang 15kg Solid Picture Hanging are no longer available. IS there any alternative you can suggest?

I apologise for that item not being in stock @NumeroUno.

I've contacted Bunnings Balcatta, and they have the Everhang 20kg Solid Wall Picture Hanging Hook - 2 Pack available, which also would be suitable. It never hurts to go a bit over your expected weight.

I've arranged for the team to leave five packets of these at their Special order counter under the name Mitchell. Please let me know if you experience any difficulties picking these up or decide to go with something else.

Mitchell

NumeroUno
Cultivating a Following

Thanks MitchellMc, I will pop in and get them in a day or 2. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects