Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Replacing mortar between bricks.

jargan
Finding My Feet

Replacing mortar between bricks.

How do I replace the mortar between brick where it has worn away on the exterior walls.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing mortar between bricks.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jargan. It's fabulous to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

If there are just a few areas of the mortar to refill then I would suggest a product similar to Mortafil 450g Mortar. This product is available in eight different colours and can be applied with a caulking gun. If you have a larger area to fill you might like to purchase a powdered product like Australian Builders 20kg Mortar Mix. You can use a Hyde 13mm Tuck Pointing Trowel to apply the mortar into the gaps.

Before using either of these products it would be beneficial to scrape out any mortar that is soft or powdery within the gaps.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jargan
Finding My Feet

Thank you Mitchell, should I do any preparation to the areas or just wet them down?

Kind regards

Jargan

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @jargan,

The only preparation would be to remove any mortar that is soft or powdery. You can use a heavy mist to dampen the wall and mortar joints down before applying the mortar.

Start by using a small sharp trowel and fill the cleaned-out joints with mortar. Begin with the verticals and finish with the horizontals. Pack the mortar in tightly, making sure there are no gaps or air holes. If the old mortar has a U-shape then use a mortar jointer to re-establish it on the new work. A soft-bristled brush can be used to remove the excess mortar from the wall.

It would be a good idea to lightly mist the wall down once a day for the next three days to prevent the mortar from drying out too quickly.

Please let me know if you need further information or had questions.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc 

I am new here and found this link while searching online.

My toilet wall in garage has that powdery thing coming out of brick wall, house is in good condition and built in 1983-85 and online research shows usage of lime powder etc.

as per your recommendation "remove any mortar that is soft or powdery" : - how much we need to remove as the 5 to 6 bricks from floor few places that powder is falling and the more I touch the more it comes out.

Just want to make sure that I don't take out more than required. Someone else suggested using Frenchman's tool but Bunnings search shows "0" is there a another name for this tool?

Appreciate your help and I have attached the pics in this thread as it seems appropriate.IMG_20201221_103519 (002).jpgIMG_20201221_103514 (002).jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @newfast. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It appears in your case that you have a complete degradation of the mortar. Is any of the mortar in that wall solid? Check with a steel tool on the bricks above and see if you can dig it out easily. If you can continue to dig out a powdery mortar and there is no sound layer, then I would encourage you to have a professional assess the wall. My concern is that the structural integrity of the wall is compromised and that this is more than just a simple filling repair job.

A Frenchman's tool is just a pointing tool similar to a mortar jointer.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

Thank you for all the advice. I certainly will take up your suggestions

Hi Mitchell,

My original brick mortar is red. How should I go about achieving the same look using the 20kg mortar mix?

Alternatively, would I be able to use Shelley roof repointing compound which comes in a similar red colour for exterior wall brick repointing? Thank you

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @coomo,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to have you join us and I trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects from our wonderful members.

As Mitch is currently taking a well-earned break for a couple of weeks, let me tag our other resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert in @EricL to assist you.

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @coomo 

I've just been in contact with Selleys technical department regarding the Selleys 10L Generation ll Point Works. They don't recommend using it on vertical brick wall applications. This product has been specifically designed for roof tiles only. I recommend using Australian Builders 20kg Mortar Mix or similar in combination with Dulux Avista Oxide 1kg Brick Red Cement Colouring

I propose following the suggestions made earlier in the post and that is to add the oxide slowly until you reach the colour you are after. It is better to add the oxide slowly because it cannot be taken out if too much of it is mixed in with the mortar.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects