Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Table made from scrap wood

annie75
Cultivating a Following

Table made from scrap wood

How with no taught skills and budget tools from Bunnings I created a beautiful table for friends and family to gather. 

AAC77881-90F6-437D-9EEB-99F8D899FE64.jpeg

594E5EA9-0EAC-4751-B962-F3C78B6733C2.jpeg

7F69FF96-EBC7-4A13-BE4F-9FE0367198E4.jpeg

2D6A6C5D-20E5-4298-B4DA-FB66C82EFEAA.jpeg

97200F0C-EC15-490A-B7D4-2BEBFD86CDE9.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Table made from scrap wood

Hello @annie75 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your amazing table project.

That herringbone pattern you've applied to the timber pieces really makes it stand out, plus your sanding finish is superb. What kind of sealer did you apply to the tabletop? Is it three tables joined as one or are they just butted up against each other at the last picture at the bottom? I know these are a lot of questions, but I'm sure our members would be keen to know more about how you built this table and the materials that you used.

Any other information you can share about your creation would be very much appreciated.

Again, thank you for sharing your fantastic table project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
annie75
Cultivating a Following

Hello again Eric. 
I had so many people admire my 1st table that i decided to make a few more and make this set up for my friends hens day! (1st Photo) The guests were so blown away that I was encouraged to start a small  side hustle so I did!! https://www.instagram.com/tv/CckLjQUF8YW/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
The darker tables were my first ones. They are 1.5 metres long and completely made from scraps. I made a frame with pine. Then I attached pieces of thin ply pieces that were in the bin. Then I attached the pine pieces directly to the ply. The legs are the pieces of pine that are within the pallets. They have strap grooves but that’s ok. I face that part inwards. I have bolts that go from the outside right through the leg and are tightened with wing nuts so I can remove them for storage and transport. When scraps haven’t been available for the sides I’ve used fence palings. To seal them I use Cabot’s CFP water based floor varnish as it’s a little harder wearing.

I have since made the lighter coloured ones by using a piece of 15mm plywood and attaching the cut bits of pine direct to the top with fast drying glue. When working with the scrap pine it can be tricky as sometimes they have a bit of a bow so I use short Brad nails to hold them in place until the glue dries. Often you’ll find me placing another piece of ply or anything I have on hand to weight it all down overnight to ensure they dry flat. 
Once dry, I cut the timber flush to the edge and give the top a sand so they’re all the same height. I then attached a piece of dressed timber to the edges with 45 cuts on the corners.  Then I will fill in the gaps with agnews multi purpose filler. . I’ll then sand again until they are super smoothe and stain and varnish them. I have made the legs on these to be folding just with a hinge attached to the plywood. 
These are quite time consuming for me as scraps require a lot more attention and I’m a perfectionist but I’m really proud of them! I most of all I enjoy making them!! 

Sadly though I’ve just had to have a 2nd back surgery in 2 years so I’m not even sure I’ll be able to create much like I used to but I’m crossing my fingers!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @annie75

I've always imagined that the best side hustles are the ones you love the most. Thank you very much for all that extra information about your build. I'm sure our members will find the added details very useful. To help you with your back and your building process, I suggest creating a raised working platform so that you won't have to bend over so much when laying out the timber pieces. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
annie75
Cultivating a Following

Where there’s a will there’s a way Eric! 
mom not ready to give up just yet!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects