Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycling or restoration projects?

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Upcycling or restoration projects?

With so many creative people in this community, I'm keen to see and hear all about any restoration or upcycling projects that anyone might have underway. Restoration is such a great way to develop some D.I.Y. skills and upcycling objects is even more environmentally responsible and sustainable than recycling. I'd love to see new life being breathed into old objects. 

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Upcycling or restoration projects?

Great topic, @JaneK.

I'm a huge fan of upcycling and will do so at any chance I get. I've just managed to pick up this Oregon coffee table for free from a local giveaway group. Took me all of 10 minutes to go and pick up.

Although I do like the current finish, I feel it is somewhat dated and does not suit my existing lounge room decor. The top also has some dents and scratches to it. I intend to sand the varnish off the entire table and then paint the legs with a stark white. I will then finish the top with a clear coat similar to Cabot's Cabothane to enhance the natural-looking timber instead of the current honey coloured varnish. 

I've just about finished sanding the top back and am now working on the turned legs. I'm starting to wish I had a detail sander as sandpapering the legs by hand is a little tedious though somewhat therapeutic.

I very much look forward to seeing what our members are currently upcycling.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects