Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What adhesive should I use around a new door frame to minimize movement?

dkatri
Just Starting Out

What adhesive should I use around a new door frame to minimize movement?

Hello,

I have a new door frame and door installed. The door frame has only been nailed/screwed to the double brick wall (it's an old house). But when the door is closed or if I close the door and push it against the frame, I can see that the frame moves a bit. I am not sure what is the best adhesive that I can use around the door frame to stop it from moving or minimise the movement. I bought some Sikaflex PRO+ but I am not sure if it's suitable. The gap between the door frame and the wall is small 2 to 5 millimeters.

Thank you

Dimitri

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What adhesive should I use around a new door frame to minimize movement?

Hi Dimitri @dkatri

Thanks for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to assist you with your door issue when he is back on the site on Friday. Thanks for your patience in the meantime. Let me tag other helpful members in @Brad and @TedBear to see what they would use in the meantime. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. 

We're sure you will get plenty of helpful information, advice and inspiration from our amazing community members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Dimitri @dkatri,

I would use Liquid Nails for that job. It has amazing holding strength and adheres well to both brick and timber. Relatively cheap and it's easy to pump it in from the cartridge if you have a Caulking Gun.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-320g-liquid-nails-original-construction-adhesive_p1233751 

(If not, there is a version that doesn't need a gun, for one-of jobs. It costs a few dollars more, but it is still cheap for what it can do...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-ezi-press-130g-liquid-nails_p1210584 )

You would be best to apply it before going to bed or before going out for the day in order to give it time to dry undisturbed.

The Sikaflex PRO+ is a sealant, so it may not be enough to stop the movement.

TedBear.

(I don't work for Bunnings, I just like seeing that things are fixed.)

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Another vote for Liquid Nails from me who also doesn't work for Bunnings.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects