Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What types of screws to use for indoor furniture?

zool3
Cultivating a Following

What types of screws to use for indoor furniture?

Hi All, I'm about to start on projects and was wondering what type of screws I should be using? I went into the store today and got a bit overwhelmed!

I'll be making indoor furniture (tables, bookshelfs, bedside table, coffee table etc) using pine,plywood, eventually some hardwood once I get much better.

I'll also be making some shelves where I'll to install it into studs. I have dry wall as well so potentially will be getting some heavy duty dry wall anchors from Ramset 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What types of screws to use?

Hello Zool.

There are thousands of choices in the screw/nail aisle at Bunnings but I particularly like the kits that provide a variety of sizes and lengths. A recent discovery which I'm very pleased with is the Macism treated pine screw kit from Bunnings and from memory only around $15.

Every now and again I still have to return to source an alternate screw but will always buy a bigger packet than required - that way you gradually build up a 'warehouse' and further trips become less.

I've found the chipboard screws acceptable for most of my woodwork projects.

20201219_074855.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @zool3,

I'd agree with the fantastic advice @Noyade has provided. For many years I have been making trips to a store to pick up the specific type of screws I need for that job. I can only imagine the time I have spent purchasing in this fashion. Recently, I have bought bulk amounts to keep on hand at home. It's been the best decision I've ever made and so much easier.

As @Noyade has mentioned starting off with a pack of Syneco 1000 Piece Assorted Chipboard Screws Kit and Macsim 270 Piece Assorted Treated Pine Screw would get you started. If you then need any specific sizes, not in the packs, you can have a chat to a helpful team member in-store.

I recommend picking up a P&N 4 Piece Quickbit Pilot Drill / Countersink Bit Set as well. It's only been the last few years I've been pre-drilling and countersinking my screws, and it makes a world of difference to the finish of a project.

Please let us know if you need further help or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
zool3
Cultivating a Following

Thanks @MitchellMc  and @Noyade I will go into Bunnings today to have a look

Are there any issues of using treated pine screws indoors. My main concern is having it around food and withstanding high pressure/weight (e.g. bed frame or seats) 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@zool3,

There is no reason you couldn't use treated pine screws indoors that I am aware of. Their name purely indicates that they don't react with treated pine and can be used outdoors. For indoor use, you would normally use a standard timber screw or a chipboard screw. You might find treated pine screws are slightly more expensive as well.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
zool3
Cultivating a Following

Thanks Mitchell

I think I'll grab a pack of each and see which size i use most before getting a larger pack of that size!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects