Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Worst DIY jobs you've had to do

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Worst DIY jobs you've had to do

I'm curious to hear some of the worst DIY jobs Workshop members have had to do. Is there anything really tedious or difficult you've tackled in the past that you never, ever want to do again? Perhaps something that now (gasp) you might even consider paying someone to do next time?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Worst DIY jobs you've had to do

Two jobs immediately come to mind that we had to do when we first moved into our 50s-era house. I remember spending a lot of time trying to remove wallpaper and glue residue which was not fun. I also remember spending a lot of time on hands and knees removing stapes from the floorboards after we ripped up all the floral carpet. Fortunately, modern wallpaper is easy to remove and no one staples carpet down anymore...

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

@Jason  OMG @ wallpaper!  I remember my parents having to steam if off "back in the day"  

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, I'm sure steamers have improved since then too @Deanna. The beast that we were using was very temperamental. Having boiling water dripping down your arm was not pleasant. 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I hope early 80's wallpaper is in the easy to remove group, bathroom and 2 feature walls to remove.

Personal bugbear is the crack in the kitchen/lounge room wall that resists all attempts to stay filled.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good luck @Brad, let us know how you go.

These videos might be handy...

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

wall

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Alarm may be interesting...

Aircon should come out the front once the power is disconected so I can leave the cover and fill inside.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Brad wrote:

Personal bugbear is the crack in the kitchen/lounge room wall that resists all attempts to stay filled.

@Brad, have I got it right that the problematic wall's an internal one? If so, is the crack closer to an end of the house, or more towards the middle?

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

@Andy_Mann internal solid wall closer to an end than the middle.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects