Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Would you like a dedicated place for pets inside your home?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Would you like a dedicated place for pets inside your home?

Hazelnut.jpgPets are typically cherished members of the family, and I suspect most now live inside rather than being banished outside to kennels and cat cages. But few homes seem to have a dedicated place for pets.

Before starting work on the renovation of a typical 1980s suburban Australian home the Make It Happen team asked Australians whether they should create a dedicated place for pets inside the house. It could be somewhere where the pet sleeps as well as providing storage for pet food and pet accessories.

What do you think? Would you like a dedicated area for your pet and where would you put it in your house?

All will be revealed about how the Make it Happen team transformed the home when the new series starts on March 2. In the meantime, check out the series trailer.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Would you like a dedicated place for pets inside your home?

Looking forward to seeing responses to this one. Let me tag some of our frequent contributors to help get the discussion going. 

Would you like a dedicated area for your pet and where would you put it in your house?

@prettyliving@Renowayoflife@homeinmelbourne@MikeTNZ@lifestylebymari@Brad@Adam_W@diy_hausdesigns@Carmel1955@redbournreno@wooshka 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Marty has taken over the laundry.

While it is part of the house it only has an external door with a doggy door installed, on the downside you have to step on his pet bed to get to the washing machine. He used to lock himself in before I put the doggy door in.

The previous custodians of the backyard preferred to polish the back step.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

When we were looking for our home, we wanted to make sure our pup Koda had access to an indoor space. We always thought it would be the laundry as it can double as a wet room and just like @Brad, install a doggy door. We were lucky enough to find a home with a studio in the backyard and we installed a Hartman pet door for patio and sliding doors . Now when we aren't home, it becomes her place of refuge if bad weather rolls in.

I love the concept of giving your pet their own space and hope to see it in the Make it Happen house.

Katie

Renowayoflife
Becoming a Leader

I love this post @Jason as pets are bring so much joy to a home but if I'm being honest, there are no boundaries in our home with our pets. They've had beds and all sorts but they just end up on the couch and the bed 😂 And that brings me joy so for me, I just make sure my house is as pet comfortable as it can be - throws on the couch and bed, stairs to get up on the bed (they're small so find it hard to get up and down) We also have stairs going onto my daughters bed as she loves to sleep with then too. 

I should add, I am planning a little pet section in the pantry for their food and treats etc 

But in saying the idea of a dog wash in the laundry, they're so functional and they can look amazing.

Puddin
Building a Reputation

Would love a dedicated place for my cats bowls. I am in the process of trying to work out a new laundry bench and cupboard design. This will hopefully have an hollow out section instead of a large bottom draw for his food bowls. Will then have draw above under the sink for his food. This will allow me access to sink without kicking or having to move his bowls like I do now. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Puddin 

What are the measurements of your laundry area? I'll be more than happy to sketch up some ideas for you? However, if you have a picture you can share that would be even better. I feed our dog in the same area and I'm in agreement with you that the food bowl always gets in the way when you're walking around in the laundry.

Eric

Puddin
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL 

Thank you so much that is a really generous offer. I think I have it worked out though and am in the process of getting some one to build it. Things like plumbing and cabinets are a bit above my skill level. 

Cheers Ann alias Puddin

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for your responses everyone. 

In the official poll, there was also strong support for the idea of a dedicated space for pets inside the renovated home. 70% of respondents gave the idea the thumbs up. You'll soon be able to see how the Make It Happen team responded to the request. 

Today's question is whether you prefer composite or timber decking. I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Puddin@Brad and @Renowayoflife 

Just a heads-up that the Make It Happen episode in which the team transforms the laundry and creates a dedicated place for pets has been released today. 

Check it out here: Laundry renovation catering for pets.

@Puddin: you should be particularly interested in the pet feeding station that Jono builds.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects