Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate this bathroom?

rveerasu
Growing in Experience

How to renovate this bathroom?

210 x 165 Bathroom Dimension. I am looking to renovate my bathroom.  Shower/Vanity is in my mind(no tub). Please let me know your opinion.

279946296_10227255969688054_3352333831332831698_n.jpg280634853_10227255995648703_3397271000717132920_n.jpg280746278_10227255995008687_6940951264339413085_n.jpg280758131_10227255995328695_1052830737479870490_n.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to renovate this bathroom?

Hi @rveerasu,

Thanks for sharing your bathroom renovation project with us. Can we please trouble you for a sketch of the layout of the room, complete with dimensions? It would help our members see what you are working with. 

It would also be great to hear your goals for this project, and whether you have a budget in mind. This will help us determine whether you can simply perform a makeover or gut the whole room and start from scratch in a comprehensive renovation. Experienced Workshop member @Adam_W has shared a comprehensive guide How to plan a bathroom renovation that would be a good place for you to start. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rveerasu 

Thank you for sharing pictures of your current bathroom. Due to the limited space in the room, I've drawn your initial layout with the largest wall-hanging vanity cabinet I could find. Combined with a timber benchtop and a countertop basin this should be an affordable upgrade to your current vanity.      

I recommend removing the built-in shelf near the end of the bath to free up some space to allow the shower to be relocated in that spot. I've placed in some Bellazza 60 x 60cm Crema Porcelain Floor Tiles and classic Decor8 Tiles 284 x 324 x 6mm White Matt Hexagon Ceramic Mosaic Tile for the walls. Please have a look at the sketch and let me know what you think. If you wish to see it in another configuration please let me know.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

rveerasu bath1.jpgrveerasu bath2.jpgrveerasu bath3.jpgrveerasu bath4.jpgrveerasu bath5.jpg

rveerasu
Growing in Experience

That's a nice plan & it fills the need. But I have a concern about the divider. Can we remove that?

rveerasu_0-1658437999769.png

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rveerasu,

It looks like @EricL's preference was for you to remove the divider/built-in shelf. "I recommend removing the built-in shelf near the end of the bath to free up some space."

From the photo you've provided, it doesn't appear that the divider contains a stud wall. If it's not a structural wall, then you should be able to remove it without issue. If you'd like to take a few more photos from a different angle, I trust our members will be able to confirm this for you.

Since this is a reasonably old bathroom, you should verify that there is no asbestos before starting demolition work. If there is asbestos present, you'll need to take safety precautions when working with it. Check out this Best Advice article on Where might you find asbestos in your home? 

I'll be looking forward to following along with your project. Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

rveerasu
Growing in Experience

Please see some more photos. WhatsApp Image 2022-07-23 at 8.09.47 AM (1).jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-07-23 at 8.09.47 AM.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rveerasu,

That partition certainly looks like it would be easily removed as part of a complete renovation of your bathroom. However, when removing any wall, it's essential to ensure that it isn't part of a load-bearing structure. If you are unsure, I'd encourage you to enlist the service of a qualified professional that can check for you.

Mitchell

rveerasu
Growing in Experience

Thanks, I am not planning to remove walls, but removing this divider was a big concern  (thanks for that @MitchellMc).

Do you have any ref for professionals who can check & confirm its this wooden piece is not load-bearing or not?

Cheers,

Ram

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Ram (@rveerasu),

Typically, it would be a structural engineer or a builder that could assist with determining the structural nature of a wall. I believe this is a partition and not a wall, but I'd hate to recommend you remove it, and then there be issues.

Mitchell

rveerasu
Growing in Experience

Thanks for your comment(it will be way beyond my budget), is it possible that we can use the space as it is. and a plan.

Cheers,

Ram

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects