Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate this bathroom?

rveerasu
Growing in Experience

How to renovate this bathroom?

210 x 165 Bathroom Dimension. I am looking to renovate my bathroom.  Shower/Vanity is in my mind(no tub). Please let me know your opinion.

279946296_10227255969688054_3352333831332831698_n.jpg280634853_10227255995648703_3397271000717132920_n.jpg280746278_10227255995008687_6940951264339413085_n.jpg280758131_10227255995328695_1052830737479870490_n.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to renovate this bathroom?

Anything is possible, Ram (@rveerasu).

If you can let us know your budget for this project, it will significantly assist our members with providing suggestions that can be achieved. 

Removing that shelving will provide more room to achieve plans like @EricL's above. The shelving left there really limits our ability to use the space efficiently.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
rveerasu
Growing in Experience

Hi,

Since shelf removal is included, I don't have really a number in mind. Max 5K , But I want to keep the cost as minimum as possible.

The kitchen is just renovated(9K). and now rebuilding the bathroom would add value to the property, but we bought this property at its peak, so I don't want to invest too much in renovation & plan to do DIY as much as I can.

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Kitchen/Kitchen-renovation-ideas-wanted/m-p/116662#M4409

Cheers,

Ram 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @rveerasu (Ram)

If you are worried about that wall being a weight-bearing structure, I suggest engaging the services of a registered builder so that they can make an assessment. If they say it is a weight-bearing wall you can ask them for a quote and the possibility of removal, plus the cost to create a support bracket for the ceiling. However, if they say that it is not a weight-bearing wall and can be removed with no worries, you can still engage their services for the demolition of the bathroom.

To give you an example of cost, kitchen demolitions will range anywhere from $800 to $1500 depending on location and complexity. It could even go higher as some tradies will have to travel farther to get to a property. A bathroom is way smaller and your bathroom only has three items to be taken out including the wall.

I recommend taking your time concerning your bathroom renovation. I propose making enquiries about waterproofing, plumbing and electrical works. If you are planning on doing the rest of the renovation, it will probably include tiling, painting and the installation of the vanity. Depending on where you live, some installations will have to be done by registered trades. 

I suggest having a look at this guide - How to plan a bathroom renovation by @Adam_W. The guide will give you an excellent idea of how you can plan your bathroom renovation.

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno, @prettyliving, @Melzie and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Melzie
Building a Reputation

Hi Ram, 

Before making start on your bathroom makeover I would suggest getting an asbestos assessment done as many old bathrooms contain it. Do you know what year the house was built? If the floor is vinyl it could be in that, and if the walls are not brick it could be lined with cement sheeting and depending on the age it could be in that as well. I agree with Mitchell and Eric, removing the shelving will give you alot more room. However is the shower head and taps on that wall? (as I dont see them near the window) To keep plumbing costs down I always try to keep everything in the same place if possible. Another thing to bear in mind, if you remove the bath there may not be any concrete underneath if its an older home so this is another consideration for the budget. 

I recently did a bathroom reno and left the bath in place as I wanted to keep the costs down & painted it white. My real estate agent said it was a good move for re-sale as many families like to have them https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Bathroom-and-Laundry/700-bathroom-makeover/m-p/117346 

I hope some of this helps and good luck! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Melzie

Thank you very much for those recommendations. let me tag @rveerasu to make sure they are made aware of your suggestions. I definitely agree with your suggestion of checking for asbestos. Having it in your house definitely puts a wrinkle in any renovation project.

Eric

rveerasu
Growing in Experience

Thank you so much. 

> Floor is Vinyl & no concrete(I checked)

> built on 1970s

> Outside wall is brick. But these inside rooms are timber.

> Shower is attached to the divided wall WhatsApp Image 2022-07-26 at 9.02.12 AM.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rveerasu

Thank you for posting that extra photo of your shower wall. Looking at the fittings attached to it, it would seem that this was once a shower over bath. It's difficult to tell if this plumbing attachment is still functional, but if it is, it will make the plumbing configuration a lot easier for the new shower location. But as I've mentioned before, I suggest engaging the services of a registered builder not only to make sure that it is not a load-bearing wall but to identify if there is asbestos in the building as well.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

rveerasu
Growing in Experience

Hi,

I  just checked with Architect, It's not load bearing & can be removed. Can you please let me know, do I need to get council approval to renovate the bathroom from TUB to the shower? 

cheers,

Ram

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rveerasu

Before you go to the local council, I suggest drawing up a plan with pen and paper. By having these details handy you'll be in a position to ask more questions about your local council's rules and regulations. One of the easiest ways to look at the rules is to check online, go to your local council's website and type in "bathroom renovations" and you should get several suggestions from the site. 

However, if you find that you need more information and wish to speak to someone from the council, I recommend visiting them at their local office and asking for information about bathroom renovations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

redbournreno
Having an Impact

Hi @rveerasu ,

That is an exciting challenge and almost anything you do will be a massive improvement.  I can't see a toilet in those images - did you intend to put one in?  Because that will be a bigger cost with more knock on implications.  Considering your budget then I will assume that you don't need a toilet in there. 

* Best bang for your buck will be to keep the bath and the stud wall for shelving in place. This is because the shower pipework runs out of that stud wall.  It will cost a lot more in plumbing to change that. And as already mentioned, the floor under the bath can cause a lot of problems for installing a new shower, which will cost more.

* Before you start anything wear a mask and gloves and overalls while you check under the bath etc for any sign of rot or damp or water damage.

** I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you get the walls and that linoleum floor tested for asbestos. https://asbestosawareness.com.au/?runonce=1 Follow the instructions on keeping yourself safe while sampling.  It is often cheaper to collect the samples yourself and take them to a testing centre than have them visit, especially if it is a regional property.

*** TO DO:

Remove all old sealant by scraping it out, using sealant dissolving goop, and add fresh sealant when everything else is finished.

Paint the bath, by following the instructions exactly, using the Dulux renovation range or Rustoleum/White Knight ranges.

Replace the vanity - measure carefully and think about how it will look because it currently join right up next to the bath.

Install an overbath semi-frameless shower screen and new tapware.

What is under the vinyl/linoleum? You could just replace that with new vinyl from the roll.  The timber effect ones at Bunnings are excellent value. Use sealant at the edges.

You could get a tiler to tile the walls and floors, or do it yourself if you could manage it.  Larger format tiles 300x600mm are often a convenient size for walls, and between 100 - 300mm floor tiles are the easiest to manage for floors and usually cost effective. The tiles only need to go in the shower and behind the vanity, where you already have panelling. Or there are a couple of panelling types that look really nice at that price point, such as a textured white subway, if the tiling is too much.  You can glue them on and seal them.

A plastic panel could go on the side of the bath.  New white melamine shelving or baskets and go in the nook area.

Paint all round in a low sheen kitchen and bathroom quality paint like Taubmans Endure to help keep mould at bay. Add some plants and coloured towels and candles for interest.

All easily achievable for under $5k if you make clever selections and avoid moving plumbing. If you find asbestos you will have to be very careful what you do.

Best of fun with it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects