Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I replace my Ryobi bench grinder's wheels?

VulcanJohn
Building a Reputation

Can I replace my Ryobi bench grinder's wheels?

Hi everyone. I have a 250W, 150mm Ryobi bench grinder from a few years ago, model RBG6G. I am trying to find out if I can replace either of the grinding wheels with polishing/buffer wheels or a wire-brush wheel to improve its versatility. I appreciate it is not very powerful motor so may not have the torque to polish or clean, if anyone has any experience or thoughts, please chime in and let me know before I spend any more money!

If I can fit other wheels then I think the money would probably go towards Bosco products as they have a wide range of polishing wheels and compounds, as well as a selection of wire cleaning wheels and brushes. They also sell tapered spindle adapters, but, as I said, I can't figure out if they can be fitted to my ageing little grinder.

John.Grinder_1.JPGGrinder_2.JPG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ryobi Bench Grinder Query

Hello @VulcanJohn

Thank you very much for sharing photos of your Ryobi bench grinder. There might be restrictions on the type of wheel that can go on the grinder. Allow me to investigate further, as soon as I have more information I will post it here.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
VulcanJohn
Building a Reputation

Thanks EricL, I’ll look forward to your update.

John

r23on
Amassing an Audience

because the grinder is only a 250W machine the ability to polish or buff will be limited as it will not have the torque to provide prolong polishing the wire brush will have the same issue as you apply pressure to polish or wire brush the machine will slow down and perhaps overheat 

A 1HP (750W) machine would be a better prospect.

If you are looking to do llight work then the machine may cope.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning Avro @VulcanJohn 

"I appreciate it is not very powerful"

I have a 100 watt bench grinder with a wire brush (125mm) and it's worked extremely well for twenty years on small items - but I have no polishing experience.

20221020_105520.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @VulcanJohn

I've just been in contact with the Ryobi technical department and they have informed me that if you use a polishing wheel, make sure that it is the same size as the grinding wheel, which is 150mm in diameter and at least 20mm thick. It should also be able to take the same rotation speed as the grinding wheel which is 2850 rpm and must have the same diameter mounting hole.

Just to be on the safe side when you purchase the Josco polishing accesorie, please make sure to do a test fit and keep the docket just in case you need to exchange it.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
VulcanJohn
Building a Reputation

That's excellent information, thanks Eric.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects