Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you use Treated Pine for a shed?

Bondy2
Getting Established

Can you use Treated Pine for a shed?

I want to extend an old shed. I plan on using pole barn-type construction.  I thought I'd use 100mm x 100mm rough sawn treated pine for the in-ground posts in concreted footings.  And rough sawn Treated pine sleepers for the header beams. Can you tell me how stable is rough sawn Treated Pine? Has it been Seasoned? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Treated Pine suitability a shed.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Bondy2. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about rough sawn treated Pine.

Rough sawn treated Pine is ideal for landscaping and other non-structural applications. Constructing a shed would be considered a structural application, so it's not suitable for what you intend. It's not seasoned to the degree needed for your purposes, and you should expect twisting and warping, and it is not graded for structural loads. This goes for the sleepers, too; they're for building retaining walls, not constructing buildings.

I suggest you look at our H3 structural range of treated Pine, as it would be much more suitable for your purposes.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Can you use Treated Pine for a shed?

Good morning @Bondy2 

"rough sawn Treated pine sleepers"

I have tried 'wet' treated pine in a couple of projects with disastrous results due to warping and shrinkage at it dries. But I had have success with an area using wet sleepers and steel. Well placed steel plate 'disciplined' the warping problem but I must point out these sleepers are positioned for decorative purposes and do not support the structure.

20220731_104842.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects