Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. portable bike trailer stand

Pklebano
Having an Impact

D.I.Y. portable bike trailer stand

20220101_143543.jpg20220105_181530.jpg20220105_181523.jpg20211227_181635.jpg20211231_154131.jpg20220105_181538.jpg20220101_143535.jpg20220105_181514.jpg20220105_181530.jpg20211228_202205.jpg

Pklebano
Having an Impact

Re: D.I.Y. portable bike trailer stand

I only have a small workshop where I also store the family bicycles. Every time I needed space, I had to carry out each bike separately.

I thought of placing all four bikes on a rack on wheels to pull them in and out in one go. After a few trips to Bunnings, here is the final product.

I also recycled some old bits like the BBQ stainless steel handle, another handle from my son's old child bike and some old hardwood fence pickets for the red side rails. The main board is a flooring board, painted underneath. Aluminum angle and flats tie the edges together and hold the edges of the vinyl floor matt, where the red rails don't reach. I enjoyed making some extra parts to make it all fit together.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Impressive build and a very clever idea! :smile:

So that chequer plate is a vinyl covering? Looks very real!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Love it @Pklebano. Well done and many thanks for sharing.

It's great to have you join the Bunnings Workshop community. We're really excited to see what you can share with us next. It's clear you have plenty of creativity, knowledge and experience to share with other members. Please don't hesitate to post whenever you have a question or something new to post. 

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Pklebano

Thank you so much for sharing the photos and building details of your amazing bike trailer. Your build is very impressive, from the tie-down points to the center wheel of the trailer. Just to give our members an idea of how well you've thought this through, the center wheel serves as a lifting/pivot point. Should the front wheel of the tailer catch the low edge of a brick, the trailer will not get stuck as the center wheel prevents the front of the platform from tipping forward. It makes it very easy to pull and maneuver. How long did it take to assemble? If you have any other projects on the go, please don't hesitate to share them.

We look forward to seeing your next project.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your comments and your astute observations relating to the design of the trailer.

I actually added the centre wheel, after I first laid out the parts on the ground, before assembly. Apart from not getting stuck on uneven surfaces as you pointed out, I also wanted the trailer to not sag in the middle, as the floor board, which forms the bed of the trailer has a bit of flex in it. 

As for time, I have to admit that it always takes longer than one would think. I was on holidays so I took some time to paint, drill and countersink holes, etc. I worked on it over three days and then tinkered a bit for another two.

Only yesterday, I came across the bike stands by Tara86, LePallet and Weekenddiyer on this site, which made me realize that other people had similar challenges, very clever ideas and the passion to implement them. This is what inspired me share my project. 

Once again, thank you for your feedback. 

Paul.

Thank you Jason. 

I only discovered the site yesterday. I look froward to looking over the members projects and sharing mine from time to time. 

Paul. 

Hi Noyade,

The chequer plate is a Bunnings vinyl garage floor matt. A nice product in itself. I was planning to use black rubber flooring or a patterned lino but the look of the garage matt inspired me to go in the direction of the chequer plate.  

Paul.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects