Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

D.I.Y. workbench

Baggs
Having an Impact

D.I.Y. workbench

20190727_164336.jpgHey hey.

After the shed was finished I needed a work bench.

After a lot of searching on the net I found the basic design I was after and went from there. A few scetchs later I came up on the final design.

I used 90x35 pine for the frame and 19mm ply for the tops mainly because I was able to get it for nothing off on old employer.

Was easy to knock up with a nail gun and bagels.

Here is a few pics.

Its nearly too nice to use as a work bench. 

20190720_125013.jpg

20190720_130248.jpg

20190720_132614.jpg

20190720_140116.jpg

20190721_120457.jpg

20190727_164336.jpg

Cheers

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: D.I.Y. workbench

Very nice work! Looks too nice for workbench!! :bigsmile:

Baggs
Having an Impact

cheers. haha it is a bit. will probably be sat at with a beer more than anything.

already thinking of making another one that i can acturly use.

Former Workshop member
Not applicable

@Baggs wrote:

cheers. haha it is a bit. will probably be sat at with a beer more than anything.

already thinking of making another one that i can acturly use.

Yes as I was going through it I was thinking 'cool...nicely done...looks good...whaaaaaattt???' :hysterical: mate my island bench in the kitchen hasn't been that clean since I moved in here!'
Pardon my igorance...but a mention was made of using a nail gun and 'bagels'...may I ask what nail gun you use (or would recommend...considering the purchase but it is a few dollars to drop...) and also what 'bagels' are? I'm not sure if that was a typo or a slang term for something that I have not come across...I've come across the food FWIW :smile:

Cheers mate

hahaha yeah i got a bit carried away with it.

i used a Paslode nail gun. i havnt used one much myself but all my chippy teams at my last employer had them and they were used evey day. i only used it on this project becuase it was at my disposel. did make it easier.

sorry i wrote the last post on my phone in a hurry. i meant to say Bugle screws.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Timbecon have a series on a workbench build, way over the top for DIY use but if people are interested I can post the 6 videos.

Overkill may be having 3 sizes of nail gun, Kreg Foreman, biscuit cutter for the router table, box and spline joint jigs, dowel jig and still liking dovetail joints.

Nice bench though!
artbypix
Getting Established

Great looking bar lol, besides all the fancy equip used, I reckon I could do this with a saw, hammer and nail. Granted it would take longer and look pixie built, but it could work.
at least I wouldn't be worried about getting mine dirty. Thanks heaps for share, really nice
Pix
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

@Baggs wrote:

hahaha yeah i got a bit carried away with it.

i used a Paslode nail gun. i havnt used one much myself but all my chippy teams at my last employer had them and they were used evey day. i only used it on this project becuase it was at my disposel. did make it easier.

sorry i wrote the last post on my phone in a hurry. i meant to say Bugle screws.

G'day @Baggs 

Sorry for the delayed reply but I have been under the pump with work...same as everyone I'm sure...
Anyway...'bugle screws'...I actually had to give it a google to make sure I had the right type but I'm with you now man, all good :hysterical: Plus no problems with the Paslode nail gun as well...I can only remember one job where there was a bit of 'more advanced' in-situ concrete work involved (formwork, movable shutters etc.) and it was all Hilti drills and Paslode nail guns all around. If you have one that you can borrow for a couple days (or 'souvenir'...even better :wink:) then yeah I would do the same thing!
I guess I'm just always on the lookout for guys that are doing similar stuff to me around their house (or wherever) and trying to pick their brains as to gear/techniques/skills etc. thumbsup with that said though - I'm no muppet; but I'm no tradesman either - so when you start talking about dropping $1k for a nail gun (and perhaps you were inclined to buy six of them...hey man, more power to you, awesome!); to me that is just not viable.

I don't want to have to get a compressor and I don't want to spend much; yet get a nail gun for occasional use that could handle 60-70mm decent gauge nails...would have made my current project a HELL of a lot easier. Sounds like second hand hope for some luck is the go there...

All the same any suggestions from anyone are welcome...apologies to drag your thread a little off topic as well.

Cheers mate

RobHarris
Finding My Feet

Gday Baggs - if its not too much bother, would you be able to post the dimensions for your bench - much appreciated .

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RobHarris. It's great to have you join us.

Let me mention @Baggs to see if they can answer your question on the dimensions of the bench. Were you planning on building yourself a bench?

We look forward to hearing about all the projects around your house and garden and I trust you'll find loads of inspiration for them from within the community. We'd encourage you to let us know if you ever need assistance with a project or if you have something to share with our members.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects