Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Does Bunnings cut wood to size?

Many Bunnings stores offer a timber cutting service to help you get your wood home and get started on your project.

Here are some frequently asked questions about our timber cutting service to help Bunnings Workshop members. 

What type of cuts can be done at a Bunnings store?

Bunnings stores typically have two types of saws for timber cutting.  

• Panel saw – used to cut large sheet materials into smaller rectangular sections and pieces. The machine is capable of both horizontal and vertical cuts on most of our board products. Some examples of products that can be cut using a panel saw include MelaminePlywood and MDF.   

Does this service have a cost? 

Bunnings stores may charge a small fee for timber cutting. The price is:

• Timber docking - First two cuts are free, and 50 cents per additional cut

• Panels and sheeting - First cut is free and $1 per additional cut.

Is this service available at my local Bunnings?

You can check whether the timber cutting service is available at a nearby store by visiting the Bunnings website. Here’s how:  

• Mobile device - Select your nearest store and then click on your store's name on the top left of the screen. This will take you to your store's information page, including details about what services they offer

• Desktop computer - Type the nearest store's name in the change store drop-down and then click on store details. This will take you to your store's information page, including details on what services they offer.

Can I bring my own piece of timber to be cut?

Due to the many variables associated with timber products, we can only cut products purchased from our stores.

When is the best time to visit a store for timber cutting?

Visiting at a quieter time will ensure faster service. It's best to avoid weekends and public holidays as many other D.I.Y. enthusiasts will also be looking to build their own projects.

What if I want to do the cutting at home?

Knowing what saw to use and how to use it is the key to success. Here are some useful guides to get you started: 

What if I can't get my timber home? 

We offer a number of options to get your products home safely. You can use our free courtesy trailer for up to two hours. If you need more time you can also hire a trailer, a ute or a van to suit your needs. We also offer a comprehensive delivery service to assist you in getting your purchases home. Most stores offer same day or next day service. Please contact your nearest store for details.

Please feel free to let me know if you have further questions about our helpful timber cutting service.

Mitchell

Timber (002).jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: bunnings cut shop service - 5 cuts per person limit??

Hi @Jewelleryrescue 

Couldn't agree more - without exception I've always experienced great customer service every time I've visited bunnings in the last 20 years - except this one time.

Having made a bunch of stuff from wood over the years I made a simple cutting plan that minimized the faffing and needed only 2 set up changes - it was a 2 minute job that would take me about 30 minutes at home and not be anywhere near as accurate. 

I'll plan a bit differently next time just in case - just need to do like you suggested and take a mate or two 😊

Re: bunnings cut shop service - 5 cuts per person limit??

Thanks @MitchellMc - I appreciate the reply and the private message - thankyou for monitoring the forums and providing support - it's a great idea and 99% of the time bunnings team members are just like you - very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. 

SimoneB
Just Starting Out

cutting particle board

Do you know if the West Footscray store can cut particle board to size for me?

Hoping to get a 600mm wide board cut in half.

Thanks!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: cutting particle board

Hello @SimoneB 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

It all depends on the size of the cut and the type of particle board you are having cut. A laminated particle board can be cut but be aware that the cut will be rough, and the edge will chip due to the large blade of the shop saw. Small narrow cuts and angled cuts can't be done on the shop saw. I suggest speaking to a team member in the trade yard and telling them the size of your cuts.

However, should it not be possible, there is always the option of cutting it yourself with a standard handsaw. If you wish to invest in a power tool you can go for a circular saw to cut the panel down to size.

I also suggest having a look at these guides:

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and an appropriate mask when working on your project. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

vlo
Just Starting Out

will bunnings cut 3mm plywood for me.

will bunnings cut 3mm Premium BC Grade plywood for me. I would need 2 sheets of 2440 x 1220mm sheets cut down to 1850 x 810mm and 2 more sheets of 2440 x 1220mm sheets cut down to 1850 x 760 mm

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: will bunnings cut 3mm plywood for me.

Hi @vlo 

I believe it's possible to cut the plywood at the panel saw. However, please be advised that the shop saws are not built to do precision cuts. The cuts can vary anywhere from 5mm to 10mm so please keep this in mind when having your panels cut.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

MamaCassi
Getting Established

Teak panels - cutting to size

Hi to everyone ! Just wondering some advice on cutting one of these timber panels to size. I need two 85cm of the Specrite 1800 x 600 x 18mm Golden Teak Acacia Multi Use Panel. Im not sure if bunings can cut to soize for me - am waiting to hear back from the store near me. Screenshot 2024-02-13 093243.png

Re: Teak panels - cutting to size

Hi @MamaCassi,

Please let us know your closest store so I can contact them directly to verify that service is available there.

Many thanks.

Mitchell

JSPiggott
Finding My Feet

Plywood to size

I want to buy a piece of plywood as the base for a model train set.  I will need to be able to move it and store it vertically,  I have been told it needs to be about 16mm thick not to ben too much.  It needs to be 1200x1600mm.  Can I get a piece cut to that size?   can anyone advise on the plywood to buy.

Thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Plywood to size

Hello @JSPiggott 

I suggest having a look at the SpecRite 1800 x 1200mm 17mm Formply F17, it is very strong and has a smooth surface perfect for laying tracks. Since it already has a smooth surface finish, there will be no need to sand or fill its surface. 

It can be cut down close to the 1600mm size you are after. I say this because the shop saws are not meant for precision cuts, so I would suggest padding your measurements and cutting the correct length at home. I also suggest speaking to the stores saw operator and discussing with them your preferred measurements.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects